Re: [ontolog-forum] formal systems, common logic and lbase

To: "[ontolog-forum]" <ontolog-forum@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx>
From: "rick@xxxxxxxxxxxxxx" <rick@xxxxxxxxxxxxxx>
Date: Tue, 27 Nov 2007 10:10:11 -0500
>http://www.w3.org/TR/lbase/LBase
>>> No, neither. Common logic is simply a modernized Net-savvy
>>> restatement of first-order logic, in an attempt to get past the
>>> interoperability problems arising from the huge variety of surface
>>> notations in use.
>> But Feferman's talking about openness of language and you're saying
>> surface notation. What's the difference?
>
> I have no idea what Feferman was talking about, but whatever it was, I
> am quite certain it is irrelevant to CL. CL, as Pat indicates, is an
> answer to a problem -- the difficulty of getting knowledge bases that
> use different notations for (perhaps some fragment of) first-order
> logic to interoperate.  It's an engineering solution to a practical
> problem.  That's it.  There are some cool features to CL, but the idea
> is Not That Deep.    (01)

I guess not !    (02)

Here's what Feferman's talking about ...    (03)

http://math.stanford.edu/~feferman/papers/dettruth.pdf    (04)

Looks like Feferman and McGee's writings on open ended axiomatic systems
have been around since the early 90s.    (05)

I can accept that choices were made to limit the scope of the CL
specification, but I remain unconvinced that there's no connection
between what Feferman's writing about and CL.    (06)

I now have access to my printed copy of CL. For example, 3.8 says "a
dialect by definition is also a conforming language." And section 7.1
says "These are really conditions on a specification of a language or
notation..."    (07)

>> I've lumped in non-monotonicity, model theories and axiomatic
>> semantics.
>
> Into what?  And what does it even mean to say you've lumped together
> (a) a formal property of certain logics (b) all mathematical theories
> of meaning and (c) formal axiomatizations of specific semantic theories?    (08)

We're not connecting here because you missed this prior message in which
I refer you to the logical environment of IFF.    (09)

http://ontolog.cim3.net/forum/ontolog-forum/2007-11/msg00156.htm    (010)

This answers your arcs question as well as he structural relationships.    (011)

>>> LBase is (was,better, as it seems to have been widely ignored) an
>>> earlier attempt to do this for the W3C family of semantic web
>>> languages. Goedel's incompleteness result, which gave such a shock
>>> to foundations of mathematics, has no relevance to the completeness
>>> of first-order logic (which was also first proved by Goedel, by the
>>> way.)
>> Interesting, thanks for the info, anything you could refer me to so
>> I can read up on this ?
>
> On LBase as a precursor to Common Logic?  On the incompleteness
> (better, perhaps, incompleteability) of arithmetic?  On the
> completeness of first-order logic?    (012)

Completeness of FOL.    (013)