Re: [ontolog-forum] formal systems, common logic and lbase

To: "[ontolog-forum] " <ontolog-forum@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx>, "John F. Sowa" <sowa@xxxxxxxxxxx>
Cc: "[ontolog-forum]" <ontolog-forum@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx>
From: Avril Styrman <Avril.Styrman@xxxxxxxxxxx>
Date: Sun, 18 Nov 2007 20:49:18 +0200
John,    (01)

> Gian-Carlo Rota, mathematician:
>
>      Shocking as it may be to a conservative logician, the day will come
> when currently vague concepts such as motivation and purpose will be
> made formal and accepted as constituents of a revamped logic, where they
> will at last be alloted the equal status they deserve, side-by-side with
> axioms and theorems.    (02)

This sounds very good, but it is also very hard to imagine how motivation
and purpose could be made as formal as mathematical axioms, theorems, and
rules of inference. However, motivation and purpose can be given
axiomatically e.g. as a statement of a guideline that is held in some book,
for instance. These motivation-purpose axioms just have to be separated from
the axioms of some specific system in the book.    (03)

Avril    (04)

Lainaus "John F. Sowa" <sowa@xxxxxxxxxxx>:    (05)

--
Always forward towards the supreme maxim of scientific philosophizing    (07)