Re: [ontolog-forum] Fwd: Appropriate to discuss [was - Re: ontospam]

To: "[ontolog-forum]" <ontolog-forum@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx>
From: "John F. Sowa" <sowa@xxxxxxxxxxx>
Date: Tue, 18 Sep 2007 14:48:36 -0400
Folks,    (01)

Although the standards process must be open and we don't
permit advertising by vendors, that does not mean we are
prohibited from mentioning or discussing technical matters
that may involve specific products.    (02)

For example, SQL is an ISO standard, but Oracle, IBM, and
MySQL support different additions to the standard.    (03)

If somebody wanted to discuss how to support all three
versions, there would be no reason why we couldn't discuss
an ontology or tool that had provisions for mapping to
each of them.    (04)

That kind of discussion would not be advertising.  It would
simply be a technical discussion of technical issues related
to the subjects we are working on.    (05)

Furthermore, if somebody asks what kinds of tools are available
to support the ontologies we are developing, there is nothing
wrong with giving a list of products, some of which may be
proprietary.  But that would be done without giving any
specific endorsement or sales pitch for any of them.    (06)

John Sowa    (07)