Re: [ontolog-forum] quadruples talk

To: <ontolog-forum@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx>
From: <matthew.west@xxxxxxxxx>
Date: Sat, 8 Sep 2007 17:17:56 +0100
Dear Paola,    (01)

> a triple is subject predicate object, s what would you have as a
> fourth dimension in a quad?
> it's going to take some thinking...    (02)

MW: The use I have seen for the extra place in the tuple is to
provide an identifier for the tuple that can be used to refer to
the tuple as a whole in another tuple.    (03)

MW: This is not a problem with languages like Common Logic, because
if you want to refer to the tuple in another statement, then you
just repeat the tuple (it is its own identity). However in a
database with a fixed structure, you do not have that luxury.    (04)

MW: N-ary relations can be reformulated by reifying elements to fit
into this structure. This gives great flexibility in what can be
said by a fixed structure, although it is probably not the most
efficient use of a relational database.    (05)

Regards    (06)

Matthew West
Reference Data Architecture and Standards Manager
Shell International Petroleum Company Limited
Registered in England and Wales
Registered number: 621148
Registered office: Shell Centre, London SE1 7NA, United Kingdom    (07)

Tel: +44 20 7934 4490 Mobile: +44 7796 336538
Email: matthew.west@xxxxxxxxx
http://www.shell.com
http://www.matthew-west.org.uk/    (08)