Re: [ontolog-forum] Model or Reality

To: Kathryn Blackmond Laskey <klaskey@xxxxxxx>
Cc: "[ontolog-forum] " <ontolog-forum@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx>
From: Pat Hayes <phayes@xxxxxxx>
Date: Wed, 15 Aug 2007 10:43:08 -0500
>  >[CM] ... semantics is entirely distinct from
>>   > epistemology.  Indeed, by my admittedly dim lights, epistemology --
>>>   the philosophical analysis of knowledge -- is of at best marginal
>>   > relevance to ontological engineering.
>
>[KL] I couldn't disagree more.  How do you know what you are calling
>knowledge really is knowledge?    (01)

You seem to be missing the point here. That is an
epistemological question. Chris just said, he
considers those questions irrelevant. To ask one
of them in response is like quoting the bible to
refute an atheist.    (02)

>  Have you thought about how the
>systems that make use of this so-called "knowledge" are going to
>behave when they encounter situations (as they most assuredly will)
>in which this "knowledge" turns out to be wrong in  task-relevant
>ways?    (03)

Why are you so sure this will happen? Take for
example an accounting system which conforms to
the Sarbanes-Oxley act in part by using an
ontology which describes the terms used in that
legislation. Why could such an ontology not
simply be correct? Why must it be wrong in
task-relevant ways?    (04)

Pat    (05)

>>[CP] when one examines
>>operational systems (systems that do things) one finds that the deontic and
>>epistemic elements are key to successful operation - so an implementation
>>process needs to take account of them.
>
>[KL] +1

IHMC            (850)434 8903 or (650)494 3973   home
40 South Alcaniz St.    (850)202 4416   office
phayesAT-SIGNihmc.us       http://www.ihmc.us/users/phayes    (07)