Re: [ontolog-forum] Confusion about 'model'

To: "[ontolog-forum]" <ontolog-forum@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx>
From: Ingvar Johansson <ingvar.johansson@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx>
Date: Tue, 17 Jul 2007 11:56:34 +0200
Waclaw Kusnierczyk schrieb:
> I see that the problem of the simple statement which I posted here a few
> days ago:
>
> [WK] Constrained expressivity does not mean that what you say about
>  >> the world is necessarily confused -- it is just a model which is much
>  >> more simple than the modeled reality.
>
> has given ground to an interesting discussion in which the most
> honourable authorities participate.
>
> I'd like therefore to come back to the source of disagreement and try to
> get a short answer to the following question:
>
> Q: Is it essentially wrong to say that a sentence about (a part of)
> reality is a model of it?
>       (01)

In my opinion, this question is impossible to answer before you know
what kind of use (realistic, fictional, or assumptive) the sentence is
put to. If a sentence is used in the realistic sense, then one might on
a meta-level say that it is a kind of proposed model of reality that
might be true, truthlike, or false. On the ordinary level one simply
talks about the world, but  one may well move up onto a meta-level and
talk about the relationship between the sentence and the world.    (02)

Ingvar    (03)

--
Ingvar Johansson
IFOMIS, Saarland University