Re: [ontolog-forum] Confusion about 'model'

To: "[ontolog-forum]" <ontolog-forum@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx>
From: Waclaw Kusnierczyk <Waclaw.Marcin.Kusnierczyk@xxxxxxxxxxx>
Date: Sun, 15 Jul 2007 14:10:49 +0200
Smith, Barry wrote:
> Waclaw says
>

> You can use any language, of any expressivity, and still do silly
>> things.  Constrained expressivity does not mean that what you say about
>> the world is necessarily confused -- it is just a model which is much
>> more simple than the modeled reality.
>
> What, I wonder, does he mean by 'it'? Does he mean the language (is
> OWL or any other language intended to be a model of reality)? Or some
> statement or collection of statements in some language? When I say
> 'the cat is on the mat' I, for one, am not intending to create a
> model of reality. Rather, I am attempting to say something about
> reality itself (this very cat).    (01)

He meant 'what you say about the world is is just a model', in the sense
that the structure of a statement composed of logical and non-logical
symbols reflects the structure of that part of the world the statement
is about.    (02)

Your 'the cat is on the mat' is a statement which is a model of that
part of the world in which a (the) cat is on a (the) mat;  the statement
does not express anything more, though the reality is certainly much
more complex than that.    (03)

You may object to the term 'model' here, of course.    (04)

vQ    (05)

--
Wacek Kusnierczyk    (07)

Department of Information and Computer Science (IDI)
Norwegian University of Science and Technology (NTNU)
Sem Saelandsv. 7-9
7027 Trondheim
Norway    (08)

tel.   0047 73591875