Re: [ontolog-forum] Confusion about 'model'

To: "[ontolog-forum] " <ontolog-forum@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx>
From: "Gary Berg-Cross" <gary.berg-cross@xxxxxxxx>
Date: Sun, 15 Jul 2007 08:52:49 -0400
Barry said:    (01)

>When I say
>'the cat is on the mat' I, for one, am not intending to create a
>model of reality. Rather, I am attempting to say something about
>reality itself (this very cat).    (02)

It depends on the intention of the speaker.      (03)

When I say this as part of an ontology analyis it means to convey part of a
formal model and is
different than when I am, for example, answering the question, "Where's the
cat?",
which I can do with the informal model I use to act knowledgably in the world.    (04)

Gary Berg-Cross, Ph.D.    (05)

Spatial Ontology Community of Practice (SOCoP)    (06)

http://www.visualknowledge.com/wiki/socop
<https://mail.em-i.com/exchweb/bin/redir.asp?URL=https://mail.em-i.com/exchweb/bin/redir.asp?URL=https://mail.em-i.com/exchweb/bin/redir.asp?URL=http://www.visualknowledge.com/wiki/socop>    (07)

Executive Secretariat    (08)

Semantic Technology , EM&I     (09)

Suite 350  455 Spring park Place     (010)

Herndon VA  20170    (011)

703-742-0585    (012)