Re: [ontolog-forum] quick question re OKBc

To: "[ontolog-forum]" <ontolog-forum@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx>
From: "John F. Sowa" <sowa@xxxxxxxxxxx>
Date: Fri, 29 Jun 2007 10:57:55 -0400
Debbie,    (01)

 > ... can you please point to a few valuables in the road kill that
 > should be spotlighted or saved ...    (02)

The term was jocular, but the point behind it is that the enormous
attention and funding that has been poured into the Semantic Web
has changed the direction of a great deal of R & D.  The issues
are much more complex than just a list of "road kill".    (03)

I presented a talk in August 2006, which addressed many of the
historical trends and the areas that need more attention.
Following are the slides:    (04)

    http://www.jfsowa.com/talks/extend.pdf
    Extending Semantic Interoperability
    To Legacy Systems and an Unpredictable Future    (05)

Following is an article that addresses some related topics:    (06)

    http://www.jfsowa.com/pubs/fflogic.pdf
    Fads and Fallacies about Logic    (07)

This talk and this article do not discuss the semantic web in
any detail, but they address some historical trends, some future
possibilities, and some questions about how to get from where
we are to where we would like to be.    (08)

One of my recommendations is summarized in the following diagram,
which illustrates various languages and diagrams for the human
interfaces, various languages for the machine interfaces, and
Common Logic as the common intermediate language.    (09)

    http://www.jfsowa.com/figs/comlog.gif    (010)

In the middle, Common Logic could be replaced by IKL, which is an
extension to the draft CL standard that could become the basis for
a future update to the standard.    (011)