Re: [ontolog-forum] to concept or not to concept, is this a question?

To: ontolog-forum@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx
From: KCliffer@xxxxxxx
Date: Fri, 15 Jun 2007 10:55:15 EDT
Abdul's explanation (below) leads me to the following thoughts:

No matter how "intelligent" the machines are, the symbolic code applied to signify some aspect of reality is applied by humans to represent that reality - based on the human's interpretation of what the represented or signified elements of reality are and do. I don't want to get into the fray of whether one should use the term "concept" or not - except here, the point is that the application of the system in a machine is mediated through human interpretation of reality - it is not direct from reality. If the machine "creates" its own signification "directly" from reality, it is still done through human-designed systems for making the correspondence based on human perceptions or rules for the correspondence with reality, and is interpreted by the humans assessing its appropriateness, or using the results.

Humans have ways of assessing how "accurately" the significations or representations apply to or correspond with the represented reality - I've been in discussions in this forum previously related to such correspondence and its implications for "truth". But however divorced from human concepts or ideas the symbols are, we cannot escape the fact that they have been devised and are interpreted by some path through a human mind, and can only be assessed (so far, barring a new level of machine "intelligence") by a human assessment of the correspondence with a human interpretation of reality.

To put it another way, the signs are "sensible" (Abdul's word) only by virtue of making sense to the human interpreter of them - which involves that human's perception of the reality to which they apply (dare I say concepts?). "Significance" can be theoretically independent of the human interpretation (Azmat's "symbols ... get their significance without the mediation of the conceptions of human intellect"), but practically speaking, one or more humans assign and/or interpret the significance - the correspondence with their perceptions of the signified reality. As long as humans are the ones using the symbols, we cannot escape the passing of the "signification" through the human mind, and therefore an inevitable "mediation of the conceptions of the human intellect," despite Abdul's indication that they get their significance without it.

Ken