Re: [ontolog-forum] to concept or not to concept, is this a question?

To: "[ontolog-forum]" <ontolog-forum@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx>
From: richard murphy <rick@xxxxxxxxxxxxxx>
Date: Thu, 14 Jun 2007 20:04:54 -0400
Pat & All:    (01)

I hope I didn't lose context by missing the beginning of this thread,
but it seems if we were to model cognition and not a house there would
be good reason to include stuff like Concept.    (02)

Consider for example specifying ...    (03)

http://www.peirce.org/writings/p32.html    (04)

Our model, or specification would include: conception, impression,
consciousness, unity, substance, being, representamen, interpretant,
ground, quale, sign ...    (05)

I'm a bit of a newbie to FOL, so any advice would be appreciated. I
might write an incomplete specification of Sec 1. of Peirce above as the
following:    (06)

(assertion (=> (forall (?x ?y) (and (conception ?x)(impression ?y)))
(reduceToUnity ?x ?y)) :name 'sense2unity)    (07)

Or in OWL I could say something like ...    (08)

http://www.rickmurphy.org/categories.owl    (09)

FYI - This actually works in Pellet and Swoop ...    (010)

Anyway, I suggest the answer depends on what domain we're specifying. If
it's cognition as specified by "On a New List of Categories," seems we'd
be hard pressed to leave these out.    (011)

--
Best wishes,    (012)

Rick    (013)

email:  rick@xxxxxxxxxxxxxx