Re: [ontolog-forum] Ontology, Information Models and the 'Real World':

To: Waclaw Kusnierczyk <Waclaw.Marcin.Kusnierczyk@xxxxxxxxxxx>
Cc: Ontolog Forum <ontolog-forum@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx>
From: Pat Hayes <phayes@xxxxxxx>
Date: Mon, 11 Jun 2007 11:25:12 -0500

>>>So if
>>>(that (rains))
>>>
>>>is equivalent to
>>>rains
>>>
>>>, is
>>>(that (dead osama))
>>>
>>>equivalent to
>>>
>>>"dead osama"
>>>?
>>
>>I guess it might be if that last expression were legal IKL syntax,
>>but it isn't. You can only get away with this trick when the
>>relation has no arguments.
>
>Why would this not be syntactically legal?  You do use quotes to
>delimit names that include spaces, right?  "osama bin laden" is
>legal syntax, and "dead osama" is not??    (01)

Sorry, you are quite correct. I was reading your quotes as part of
the email, not part of the IKL. But then these are not equivalent: in
fact they are not logically related at all, any more than Patrick is
related to trick. As you say:    (02)

>The problem I see is that IKL could not consider (that (dead osama))
>equivalent to the (syntactically legal!) "dead osama" because the
>latter is understood as an atomic name, so it would not be parsed
>into "dead" and "osama".    (03)

Yes, exactly.    (04)

>  But you can well say
>
>(= "dead osama" (that (dead osama)))
>
>, can't you?    (05)

You can say it as an axiom, but it's not a logical tautology. This is:    (06)

(= "dead osama" (that ("dead osama")))    (07)

but of course (dead osama) and ("dead osama") have no logical
relationship to one another.    (08)

Pat    (09)

>vQ    (010)

IHMC            (850)434 8903 or (650)494 3973   home
40 South Alcaniz St.    (850)202 4416   office
phayesAT-SIGNihmc.us       http://www.ihmc.us/users/phayes    (011)