Re: [ontolog-forum] Disaster Management ontology BOF in Delft

To: "[ontolog-forum]" <ontolog-forum@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx>
From: Duane Nickull <dnickull@xxxxxxxxx>
Date: Fri, 08 Jun 2007 06:53:32 -0700
Concur.  XML should always be based on a good model but it is only one
possible expression of the model.    (01)

It also has several limitations that can be expressed in other formats such
as UML.    (02)

Duane    (03)

On 6/8/07 5:18 AM, "John F. Sowa" <sowa@xxxxxxxxxxx> wrote:    (04)

> Paola,
>
> A higher level of abstraction could be useful for
> relating different ontologies.
>
>> I wonder,  maybe a higher level of abstraction... it looks
>> like the proposed xml schema as Rex commented is already
>> going in that direction .
>
> XML is just a notation.  The issues involved are very deep
> semantic issues, for which a logic, such as Common Logic or
> IKL, would be more appropriate.
>
> CL, by the way, does have the XCL dialect, which is based on
> XML.  It would be very easy to add the IKL features to XCL.
> But for communication with humans in discussions such as these,
> a controlled natural language would be more useful than XML.
>
> The kind of higher level of abstraction I would recommend would
> be a metalevel ontology that can relate different ontologies
> and generate new categories to extend an ontology as needed.
>
> But that is a very big discussion that will have to be
> undertaken later.
>
> John

>      (05)

Sr. Technical Evangelist - Adobe Systems, Inc.                         *
Chair - OASIS SOA Reference Model Technical Committee                  *
Blog: http://technoracle.blogspot.com                                  *
My Music: http://www.mix2r.com/audio/by/artist/22ndcentury             *
My Band: http://www.myspace.com/22ndcentury                            *
(if (rains)(exists (x)(and (falls x mainlyOnPlain)(rains x inSpain)))) *