Re: [ontolog-forum] Ontology, Information Models and the 'Real World': C

To: "[ontolog-forum] " <ontolog-forum@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx>
From: "Barker, Sean (UK)" <Sean.Barker@xxxxxxxxxxxxxx>
Date: Thu, 31 May 2007 09:35:37 +0100

What happens if a context/possible world is such that the proposition
ceases to be a proposition? That is, it ceases to evaluate to true or
false? For example, "the volume of a cube is the cube of the length of
its side" is meaningless in a 2-D world, since there is no concept of
volume. Similarly (A/B > 1) is meaningless in a context where A and B
are both zero.
The tricky part is that there is no order of evaluation in classical
logic, so, in the latter case, adding guards on the context, such as (A
!= 0) AND (B != 0), still leaves the combined proposition meaningless.    (01)

Sean Barker
0117 302 8184    (02)