Re: [ontolog-forum] {Disarmed} Reality and Truth

To: "[ontolog-forum]" <ontolog-forum@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx>
From: Waclaw Kusnierczyk <Waclaw.Marcin.Kusnierczyk@xxxxxxxxxxx>
Date: Sat, 19 May 2007 17:36:38 +0200
John F. Sowa wrote:
> Aristotle gave one of the best definitions of truth and falsity,
> which is still much better than 99% of what people have been
> saying in this thread:
>
>    To say of what is that it is not, or of what is not that
>    it is, is false, while to say of what is that it is, and
>    of what is not that it is not, is true. (Metaphysics IV, 7).    (01)

Sounds good, but here reality is defined in terms of truth, and thus
defining truth in terms of (correspondence to) reality is inevitably
circular.    (02)

> There is just one reality, which birds, dogs, elephants, mice,
> and people view from different perspectives at different times
> for different reasons.  Many of those views may have a good
> correspondence with reality, but none of them *are* reality.    (03)

I would say that all such views *are* (parts of) reality, though they
are not (not necessarily) that part of reality they are views of.  If my
view on what there is is not a part of reality, what is it?  Where is
it?  Does it exist at all?    (04)

vQ    (05)