Re: [ontolog-forum] {Disarmed} Reality and Truth

To: paola.dimaio@xxxxxxxxx, "[ontolog-forum]" <ontolog-forum@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx>
From: "John F. Sowa" <sowa@xxxxxxxxxxx>
Date: Sat, 19 May 2007 10:07:30 EST
Paola,    (01)

Reality is what it is.  What is is always changing, but our
perceptions and our comments are changing much faster.    (02)

> Reality is constantly changing, at least from the basic
> available observation of the known universe, as well as our
> perception of it..    (03)

Aristotle gave one of the best definitions of truth and falsity,
which is still much better than 99% of what people have been
saying in this thread:    (04)

   To say of what is that it is not, or of what is not that
   it is, is false, while to say of what is that it is, and
   of what is not that it is not, is true. (Metaphysics IV, 7).    (05)

What is is constantly changing according to the laws of nature,
many of which are known to a good approximation, but most of
which are at best vaguely known or not known at all.    (06)

But what people say about what is must always be clearly
distinguished from what is.    (07)

There is just one reality, which birds, dogs, elephants, mice,
and people view from different perspectives at different times
for different reasons.  Many of those views may have a good
correspondence with reality, but none of them *are* reality.    (08)

Husserl used the term 'Lebenswelt' for the world as lived in
and perceived by a person or animal.  I suggest that we use
this term to distinguish each individual's view from the common
underlying reality.    (09)