Re: [ontolog-forum] Infrastructure for ... A "common basis"

To: "[ontolog-forum]" <ontolog-forum@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx>
From: Frank Alvidrez <frank.alvidrez@xxxxxxxxxxx>
Date: Fri, 04 May 2007 07:29:13 -0700
Peter,    (01)

I once again feel like the little child trying to break into an adult
conversation.  I think what's missing here is the relationship between
Ontologies, Ontolog and Enterprise Architectures.  Doug and I have been in
some discussions about who does what to whom as far as upper level
ontologies are concerned.  This gets real sticky because KE's don't always
agree on bigger is better or organized is better.  This is great because I
believe that re-use and collaboration is great stuff.  I usually stay away
from the formalities of ontology engineering because I didn't take
philosophy (which I really wish I had in school) and I'm not a KE.  Just an
old fashioned PM & Enterprise Architect.  But be that as it is, the
organization of a big Enterprise Architecture effort (Like DoD or Disaster
Relief, or whatever) needs to have as it's first effort, the identification
of the use and purpose of the "to-be" architecture (AV-1 in DoDAF) then the
next thing is the Integrated Dictionary (AV-2) which defines what the terms
mean.  This to me usually requires an Ontology (at least that's what I
teach).  So for initial efforts and planning, what level of Ontology are we
using and what is the organizational representation?  Tough questions for
people not familiar with the terms, but critical for saving time and money
(Doug regularly beats me over the head on re-use, re-use, re-use).    (02)

So I guess my point is that Enterprise Architectures and Ontology "common
basis" discussion are related.  This is because the use of the Ontology and
it's origin, should come up early in the discussion of what the planned use
of the Enterprise effort should be.  Now for the Ontology purists out there
I am only addressing Ontologies as they apply to Enterprise Architectures
not the reverse.  Ontology efforts for R&D etc., probably don't give a hoot
about Enterprise Architectures, but any Enterprise Architecture effort
should give a hoot about what it's data strategy should be.    (03)

Frank    (04)

On 5/3/07 6:52 PM, "Peter Yim" <peter.yim@xxxxxxxx> wrote:    (05)