Re: [ontolog-forum] ambiguity interferes with

To: Deborah MacPherson <debmacp@xxxxxxxxx>
Cc: "[ontolog-forum]" <ontolog-forum@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx>
From: Patrick Durusau <patrick@xxxxxxxxxxx>
Date: Mon, 12 Mar 2007 16:28:44 -0400
Debbie,    (01)

Thanks! No, I hadn't seen that one, but had seen "The Success  (or not)
of  HUGO Nomenclature" by Javier Tamames and  Alfonso  Valencia,
http://genomebiology.com/2006/7/5/402, which is along similar lines.    (02)

Hope you are having a great day!    (03)

Patrick    (04)

Deborah MacPherson wrote:    (05)

> Hi Patrick -
>
> Interesting. Have you seen the paper "What Gene Do You Mean" by Barend
> Mons? http://www.biomedcentral.com/1471-2105/6/142
>
> Debbie
>
> On 3/12/07, Patrick Durusau <patrick@xxxxxxxxxxx> wrote:
>
>> Deborah,
>>
>> Deborah MacPherson wrote:
>>
>> > Right - but - when you are drawing, for example in AutoCAD, there are
>> > however many underlying strings of codes, positions, and lengths
>> > relative to an arbitrary 0,0....the act of drawing simply happens to
>> > figure out relationships in a methodical fashion and the operators
>> > never see the bottom level the computer uses to capture or regenerate
>> > the drawing. There is no reason for a CAD operator to look at at that
>> > level to see what they are drawing. Adrian Walker shows this as a blue
>> > line - tasks and decisions that happen above or below the line.
>> >
>> I assume you mean the "blue line" on Adrian's slide 28 for example?
>>
>> I am not sure that is a helpful distinction other than to illustrate
>> that most users don't consider that there may be a semantic disconnect
>> between their use of a term and the term used by others. Adrian says
>> "model" and I suppose that is fair since neither users uses a term in
>> isolation from all the other terms in their environment.
>>
>> > Where this distinction occurs in the subject maps you refer to are
>> > what I will be looking for in the link below. Honestly, I don't care
>> > about naming, I prefer numbers. I only really care about proportions
>> > and putting things that belong together next to each other for easy
>> > access and a flow or planned unfolding of a story - as if conceptual
>> > or digital structures could be like visiting a museum and feel like
>> > you are discovering and seeing but actually being led through by
>> > someone who loves the materials.
>> >
>> Well, it is certainly possible to construct a subject map that results
>> in the type of goo that is the result of a Google search. Nothing in
>> that paradigm guarantees that authors are going to make sensible or even
>> useful choices. I suspect that is rather difficult for any abstract
>> formal model to enforce.
>>
>> What subject maps do recognize is that you and I may have completely
>> different ways to identify the same subject. What is more, either one of
>> us or even a third person, take Jack in this case, can create a rule
>> that adds the same third identification to both of our proxies along
>> with a rule that says in the presence of that third identification,
>> these proxies merge. (That is one model of merging, there are others.)
>> The result is a single representative for the same subject.
>>
>> Note that each of our identifications persist (at least under the model
>> I have suggested), which means that we have not arrived at a common
>> identification (one of the failing goals of the SW) and that we can in
>> fact find the "foreign" identifications when we arrive at the proxy by
>> our identifications.

> [...]

Patrick Durusau
Patrick@xxxxxxxxxxx
Member, Text Encoding Initiative Board of Directors, 2003-2005    (07)

Topic Maps: Human, not artificial, intelligence at work!     (08)