Re: [ontolog-forum] ambiguity interferes with

To: "[ontolog-forum]" <ontolog-forum@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx>
From: Jack Park <jack.park@xxxxxxx>
Date: Sun, 11 Mar 2007 17:22:26 -0800
Debbie,
There is a bit more at
http://www.sciam.com/article.cfm?chanId=sa003&articleId=5021D304-E7F2-99DF-33DDD86F3B3ECA20    (01)

It's worth reiterating one point in light of your inquiry: subject proxy
objects  are the objects contained in a subject map. A subject proxy,
itself, could be as simple as a database table the columns of which are
propertyType and propertyValue (in the simplest possible rendition).
Therefore, RDF is a reasonable way to represent the properties contained
in a subject proxy.    (02)

Among those properties will be "name properties"; every knowable name
for the subject represented by the subject proxy can be gathered
together for each with some metadata such as language or usage or name
type (e.g. acronym). With that organization, you can create a social
bookmarking website such as Tagomizer or Fuzzzy and, at the same time,
have a name be used without ambiguity in relation to many different
subjects. Some names, e.g. "George Bush" can serve the proxies that
represent both presidents and a tag with the same name. Each actual
proxy carries a locator, the database identity, which, itself, could be
a URI as has been discussed at length here. By separating names from
identity, we are able to accommodate many uses for the same name string.
Other properties facilitate disambiguation when a name string is used as
a query.    (03)

IMHO, with that architecture, or at least attention to what that
architecture offers as one creates ontologies, conceptual graphs, or
other representation systems, one need not write any "design criteria"
or even "building codes" for naming since the identification scheme is
decoupled from naming conventions. Within subject/object identification
schemes, I have no doubt that "building codes" will be appropriate.
Please note that I am using the term "naming conventions" here in a way
that seems vastly different from the way everybody else appears to use
that term; indeed, I suspect that when the term "name" is applied to a
concept, what is meant is "identifier". I use the term "naming
convention" more as an oxymoron: the only naming conventions I have
experienced appear in such contexts as, for example, giving the first
daughter the grandmother's name as a middle name, following the
appending of "jr", "II", etc to children who take a parent's name, and
other naming practices. I'm waving arms and leaving a lot out here, but
my intent is to show how I see "naming conventions" in the grand scheme
of communications.    (04)

In terms of naming subjects, well, those come from everywhere and are
just strings that are often ambiguous, as my experience with homeland
security suggests.    (05)

In terms of identifying conventions, the story is quite different; names
*can* serve in identification, but they often should not be the sole
property associated with identity. My experience with Philippine
Airlines giving my frequent flyer mileage to someone who was born on a
different date strongly suggests their computer programmers don't know that.    (06)

Jack    (07)