Re: [ontolog-forum] [ontology-summit] PLEASE, PLEASE!!

To: <edbark@xxxxxxxx>, "'[ontolog-forum] '" <ontolog-forum@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx>
From: "Conrad Bock" <conrad.bock@xxxxxxxx>
Date: Thu, 8 Mar 2007 17:27:31 -0500

Ed, et al,    (01)

I'd like to add another effect: disciplines borrowing terms from others
close to them, but inadvertantly changing the meaning in subtle ways.
For example, being a computer scientist, I was shocked to find this on
the term range":    (02)

  http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Range_%28mathematics%29    (03)

At first I thought it was just a folksy effect of the wiki, but the more
reputable Wolfram site said the same thing:    (04)

  http://mathworld.wolfram.com/Range.html    (05)

So OWL and as the rest of computer science are using "range" a
nonmathematical way:    (06)

  http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Range_%28computer_science%29    (07)

Idempotence is another example:    (08)

  http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Idempotent
  http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Idempotence_(computer_science)    (09)

Of course this is just terminology, everyone agrees on the concepts
involved.  This is where is it critical to have the examples when trying
to "ontologize" knowledge.  Otherwise, huge debates arise aroung what
are just terminological differences.    (010)

Conrad    (011)