Re: [ontolog-forum] vague wish lists VS formal specifications

To: "[ontolog-forum]" <ontolog-forum@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx>
From: "Deborah MacPherson" <debmacp@xxxxxxxxx>
Date: Sat, 24 Feb 2007 13:07:07 -0500
An important, and often overlooked, point below is remembering to
return to the original goals once the design process has started.    (01)

I like the term "complex artifact" as if its a thing you could display
and have.    (02)

Debbie    (03)

On 2/24/07, matthew.west@xxxxxxxxx <matthew.west@xxxxxxxxx> wrote:
> Dear Cory,
>

> > I going to take position that may get me in real trouble on this list;
> > The need to embrace vague wish lists.
> >
> > I have a vague wish: I wish users would state their requirements more
> > precisely.  I could even state this as a policy or requirement.  Such
> > vague requirements can cause contracts to be paid or not or could land
> > you in jail.  Of course to the person stating the "wish", it is clear.
> > It has an intent.  It may have authority.
>
> MW: The reality is that design is done by successive refinement.
>
> 1. Vague requirements are taken and worked up into more precise
> requirements.
>
> 2. Outline (functional) design (often considering options) is used to
> further precisify the requirements, and determine the design direction.
>
> 3. Detailed design is developed. Checks are made that it supports the
> functional design and the original requirements. Further precisification
> of requirements and functional design may result.
>
> 4. The design is built, this may involve design revision as abstract design
> intent clashes with reality.
>
> 5. You operate the artifact you have created - and prove the pudding.
>
> MW: The nature of the task is that there are multiple layers as you dig down
> into the detail. You cannot possibly anticipate what you will find at the
> lower levels until you get there, so asking for a deeper level of
> precisification that can be achieved at a particular level is futile.
>
> Regards
>
> Matthew

Deborah MacPherson
www.accuracyandaesthetics.com
www.deborahmacpherson.com    (07)

The content of this email may contain private
confidential information. Do not forward, copy,
share, or otherwise distribute without explicit
written permission from all correspondents.    (08)