Re: [ontolog-forum] Visual Complexity

To: "[ontolog-forum]" <ontolog-forum@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx>
From: paola.dimaio@xxxxxxxxx
Date: Thu, 1 Feb 2007 12:37:52 +0700
Rex
No problem at all
I guess it's all about getting to know each other and deal with
differences in perspectives
( ontology), its important that issues come up an get discussed    (01)

English is the best language I know for communication, and that s why
I made it my first language - try to write technical documentation in
chinese or even german or italian - not good results . My english is
ok, surely not always perfect, like you say, same as for many native
speakers.
But this 'standard English' stigma exists, and it can be used as a
discrimination tool , so I welcome the dicussion on correctness,
although its above my ahead cause I am closing down into my own world
for a bit to get some work finished    (02)

cheers
PDM    (03)

On 2/1/07, Rex Brooks <rexb@xxxxxxxxxxxxxx> wrote:
> Please excuse me Paola,
>
> I apparently mischaracterized you by misinterpreting several usages
> that I have observed. However, I did not characterize your use of
> English as a communication problem. My observation relies entirely on
> my own observations over many years in a fairly cosmopolitan town,
> Berkeley, California, where we may actually have as many individuals
> for whom English is neither native nor main than we do native
> speakers.
>
> My assertion was only that English is not your native language and
> that was not based on having asked you so I simply should not have
> made that assertion, I should have phrased my comment to say that to
> me it does not appear that you are a native English speaker.
>
> Regardless, English is still a devilishly complex mix of Romance and
> Teutonic languages along with many others, and I know several very
> learned academicians who are native speakers yet who regularly
> torture and abuse the language unmercifully. Additionally, in my
> opinion, some of the best communicators using English are, in fact,
> not native English speakers.
>
> In any event my comment did not pertain to whether or not it is your
> main language.  However, the point as I see it now is that we need to
> be careful to ensure that we are actually communicating what we
> intend to communicate, and in this case I am a clear example of that.
> So my comment applies to myself as much as anyone else, and I think
> we all could be more careful in our discussions. Now, I think it is
> best if I stop digging myself any deeper into this error.
>
> I apologize.
>
> Cheers,
> Rex
>

> >Hi Rex
> >thanks a lot for comments
> >
> >I need to add a clarification:
> >
> >>  1. She is not a native English speaker, and English is a devilishly
> >>  complex mix of Romance and Teutonic languages, so this factor is
> >>  largely linguistic
> >
> >May I ask where do you get your facts from? English is in fact my
> >main language!
> >I am interested to hear that it doesnt sound so. Although I am fluent
> >in Spanish and German,and I was brought up in Italy as a child  and
> >now live in Asia learning mandarin
> >admittedly  may contribute to
 my excessive linguistic hybridization.