Re: [ontolog-forum] Disruptive squeal at our conference call today (2006

To: "'[ontolog-forum] '" <ontolog-forum@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx>
From: Atilla Elçi (DAÜ) <atilla.elci@xxxxxxxxxx>
Date: Sun, 29 Oct 2006 11:58:13 +0200
Hi Peter,    (01)

Reason for disruption in the cases of articles 1c & 1d below
is likely to be positive feedback from speaker-to-mic. This
would not only cause echo but would tend to enhance loudness
gradually over time. If one doesn't use a headphone-cum-mic
with a NB and instead rely on the NB's speakers and a
separate mic that is what happens. Same is quite likely with
desktop computer especially when the user is not talking,
which is usually the case with our telconfcalls. The mics
used by PC/NB users are "dynamic", meaning that they tend to
elevate environment noise if there is no other source of
sound nearby.
The obvious remedy is to use a headphone-cum-mic, and to
keep mic muted when not needed.    (02)

Ref. 2c, I'd like to point out that FreeConferences.com
definitely discourages use of Skype/Vonage-like VoIP
services. Whever I dial in, I have considerable difficulty
getting the conference access code accepted by the service.
Often the code recieved by the service is not correct and
consequently the connection is dropped after the
announcement requesting me to not use Skype/Vonage/Cellular
VoIP services. I have to dial in QUITE a few times to get
accepted. At times I can't succeed in so many tries that I
simply get frustrated and give up trying.
FreeConferences.com appear to have no operator on duty to
handle such cases to take in access code verbally. Intel
Conference Services however has person on duty to assist
callers not only in the above cases but also to advise them
if any one tries to connect at wrong times, for example, too
early or too late or at wrong date. These latter cases I
believe happen a lot due to the global nature of our
membership.    (03)

Have a good day. / Iyi günler dilerim.
Atilla Elçi
http://cmpe.emu.edu.tr/aelci/