Re: [ontolog-forum] EIDX Conference Paper

To: "[ontolog-forum]" <ontolog-forum@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx>
From: "Monica J. Martin" <Monica.Martin@xxxxxxx>
Date: Mon, 15 Nov 2004 04:37:58 -0800

>Denno: I still like the first definition, "misplaced emphasis." But, if you
>find none
>of my definitions of semantic harmonization above satisfying, I wouldn't
>blame you.
>
>I'll take this parting shot: maybe while we *think* we are "harmonizing the
>semantics" of our business communications, what we are actually doing is
>harmonizing the business processes themselves; that is, eliminating
>unnecessary differences in the way we do business so as to share common
>practices. When we do that, we are relieved of the need to communicate
>peculiar circumstances of practice.

mm1: It is harmonizing the business entities that could be used in or be
a part of business processes. [1] Achieving common practices, as a
practical matter, may be an infinite task. The key, IMHO, is to allow
the expression of those business processes in a standardized manner
(i.e. process-ebBP [shared collaboration], content-cc=>bie=>message
assembly, etc.) I do agree that the semantic content and processes are
related, and are affected by context. If you look at the OAG-NIST-AIAG
work to date in this area, they were trying to achive a joint action
model that acknowledged not only the semantic (business entities) but
the local interactions. [2] Caveat: I have not been involved in this
effort since early 2004 so its focus may have changed. Thanks.    (01)

[1] Business entities =! business processes - their state and existence
are related but not synonymous.
[2] One briefing you co-authored, Peter. :>) See attached.    (02)