Re: [ontolog-forum] What do ontologies have to do with meaning?

To: "[ontolog-forum] " <ontolog-forum@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx>
From: Kurt Conrad <conrad@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx>
Date: Sun, 13 Jun 2004 23:11:42 -0700
Hmmmm.....    (01)

I don't recall the meeting where we assigned Adam the task of
deciding what topics are relevant to this forum.    (02)

1) If a topic generates discussion, that seems to be prima facie
evidence of relevance.  I found the exchanges to be both very
interesting and (from my admittedly biased position) quite useful.    (03)

2) Our charter defined the scope of this forum using the phrase
"ontologies used in business".    (04)

Until all business is done entirely by machines and we are all
hopelessly unemployed, I expect that business will have to continue
to rely on agents that learn from experience (regardless of whether
or how well they communicate).    (05)

Speaking from my own, personal experience, I have trained a number of
the agents that I have worked with _not_ to communicate with me,
directly, demonstrating an interesting ontological mix of both
learning and lack of communication.  I have also found that the most
critical business issues routinely involve ontological breakdowns
that occur well outside of communication, formalization, and even
automation.    (06)

Mike, please don't hesitate to post any questions to this forum,
including (or even, especially) those that deal with
"non-communication semantics".  I believe that a better shared
understanding of literal meaning, true meaning, and a variety of
other types of meaning can only help businesses, and all other forms
of human organization, to operate more effectively.    (07)

/s/ kwc 2004.06.13 23:11    (08)

At 2004.06.09 13:58, Mike Brenner: