Re: [ontolog-forum] What do ontologies have to do with meaning?

To: "[ontolog-forum]" <ontolog-forum@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx>
From: Leo Obrst <lobrst@xxxxxxxxx>
Date: Mon, 14 Jun 2004 10:54:18 -0400
A bit late to this discussion, but I'd say that some of the confusion is
due to the following points:    (01)

1) The original workshop on the relations between meaning and
ontologies: this is a cognitivist workshop. Starting about 20 years or
so ago, cognitive linguistics arose that tried to address
meaning/semantics from a non-formal point of view, meaning grounded
nearly purely in human-experiential and cognitive terms. Gardenfors
recently (Conceptual Spaces) tried to show  that much of "meaning" is
underlying cognitively derived and results in perhaps our formal
symbols. This is sometimes called the "symbol-grounding" problem in AI,
meaning, how do our symbols bottom-out? I think very many scientists
would not deny that our formal representations (conclusions, symbols,
etc.) are grounded in neural and cognitive events. Are our logical,
mathematical, scientific artifacts, generalizations, etc., including
everyday generalizations/patterns, just "spikes" in our neural
substrate, i.e., emergent order, etc.? I think that is probably so, but
those "spikes" arise as they do because they represent something outside
of ourselves that is recognized by our mind-bodies.     (02)

2) Meaning (semantics), even in the formal tradition, really rests on
two poles (originally due to Frege): sense and reference. Sense refers
typically to the "conceptual structures" or mental models, i.e., the
formal structures of science, logic, mathematics, etc., that we use to
construct ontologies with. Reference refers to the relations between
these formal (mental, conceptual) constructs and real (or possible or
impossible) objects in the world. A good theory of reference is still
lacking, since it's a very hard problem.     (03)

3) "Literal" meaning is sometimes what is meant by "semantics" formally,
as opposed to "pragmatics", which deals with semantics in context, its
use and the intent of the producer (of the utterance, text, etc.) But
really, semantics-pragmatics can be viewed just the same notion, a
continuous spectrum, and we just call out different "halves" of that
spectrum when we want to make specific points. I think that
"semantics-pragmatics" in principle, formally (using logic, math, etc.)
can spell out unambiguously what we mean unless what we mean is
inherently ambiguous or vague. Vagueness is about whether an
instance/individual falls in the positive or negative extension of a
predicate, i.e., the boundaries of the predicates are vague. Example:
"close to New York City" or "greater London" or "part of Mt. Everest" or
"red", etc. Is Newark "close to New York City"? Usually, but not always,
borderline examples can be made to fit in either the positive extension
(yes, it is in X) or the  negative extension (no, it is not an instance
of X), if greater refinement is made. I.e., additional assertions,
conditions, constraints, are adopted. And vagueness can be formally
addressed.    (04)

Indeterminacy and vagueness are not the same thing.     (05)

In recent years, I've found Achille Varzi's papers on the topic to be
especially of interest. See:
http://www.columbia.edu/~av72/Vagueness/syllabus.pdf for his course in
98 for the range of issues. There have also been a few recent books on
vagueness.     (06)

To return to the original point, semantics-pragmatics does have to
address "meaning" in context, and it does.    (07)

Thanks,
Leo    (08)