[ontolog-forum] Update on SMINK/Invoices ontology

To: "[ontolog-forum]" <ontolog-forum@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx>
From: Patrick Cassidy <pcassidy@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx>
Date: Thu, 12 Feb 2004 12:09:04 -0500
    I have now posted the latest versions of the KIF and
Protege files containing the combined SUMO 1.56 and
Mid-Level ontologies, plus the Invoices concepts
added by Adam Pease and myself.  This version
(SMINK006) contains the concept of a "Code" as
suggested for my effort by Adam Pease, and also
contains additional related concepts required for
the interpretation of a "Code" in the context of
the upper ontology.    (01)

    One important consideration is whether we want to
proceed with development of concepts related to
Invoices, Orders, etc. by representing them as
physical objects (pieces of paper, light pulses
on a monitor, magnetic fields on a disk, optical holes
in a CD), or by first ignoring the physical objects and
describe the relations among the documents and their
component parts by treating all of those as abstract
conceptual entities.  I think it will be easier and more
understandable to do the latter -- treat these as
conceptual entities -- for now, and deal with the
physical objects when it is necessary (as it
will be at some time.)  Most of the distinctions among
texts in the existing SUMO are related to physical documents,
so I have added some classes to the SMINK ontology
to illustrate where I think such abstract documents would
be best located.  I have only added the UBL documentation
for these concepts, and have not attempted to put in
the attributes or associations for these document types.
The 8 UBL transaction-related documents will be found
with the names "AbstractInvoice", "AbstractOrder", etc.
as subclasses of "TransactionMessage"
in the SMINK006 ontology (KIF text file samin006.txt).    (02)

     The files available are:
     ftp://micra.com/ontolog/smink006.zip    --  the WinZipped Protege
                               files for the combined SUMO, Mid-Level,
                               and Invoices ontology:  SMINK006
     ftp://micra.com/ontolog/skifcore.zip    --  the WinZipped Protege
                               SKIFcore.* files (3) for the base Protege
                               ontology required to import a SKIF file
                               using the SKIF tab
     ftp://micra.com/ontolog/skif_tab.jar    --  the jar file for the
                                SkifTab plugin which will import a SKIF
                                file into Protege (if it follows the
                                SUMO-SKIF conventions)
     ftp://micra.com/ontolog/samin006.zip     --  a zipped text file
                                 "samin006.txt", which is the
                                SKIF-format file for the combined
                                SUMO, Mid-Level,  and Invoices
                                ontologies (the SKIF-text version of
                                Protege ontology SMINK006)    (03)

     As usual, I am eager to get any kind of feedback, positive or negative,
about the ontology or its Protege or SKIF representations.
I will also be happy to answer general questions about Protege or the
plugin that converts SKIF to Protege formats.    (04)

    I have not installed Sigma, as I am concentrating what time I can
spare on the Invoices conceptual content and Protege representation.
I would appreciate it if anyone who does have a working Sigma
installed would take the "samin006.txt" file (presumably in
SKIF format) and try to load it in Sigma to see if Sigma
can pick up any syntax or logical errors that I haven't detected.
Likewise with Sevcenko's browser.    (05)

     Pat    (06)

Patrick Cassidy    (07)

MICRA, Inc.                      || (908) 561-3416
735 Belvidere Ave.               || (908) 668-5252 (if no answer)
Plainfield, NJ 07062-2054        || (908) 668-5904 (fax)    (08)

internet:   cassidy@xxxxxxxxx