Re: [ontolog-forum] Ontology Word Processor

To: [ontolog-forum] <ontolog-forum@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx>
Cc: DigitalArtOntology <dao-forum@xxxxxxxxxxxx>
From: Kenneth Fields <ken@xxxxxxxxxxx>
Date: Sun, 8 Feb 2004 20:43:09 +0800
I'm downloading Open Office as we email.
I've subscribed to the kmtech list - waiting for a response.

What _is it_ that's between us and that KillerApp of the day anyway? The closer we get to the KApp the more nebulous, particular it becomes. KApp thinking is moving toward an open framework (OS) that granularly assembles MicroAgents (code elements) as we need them. What we need accomplished (or said) should be a matter of skill with LanguageMacros. ( This text should be executable from your email browser ) Are there any email apps that use the pluggin paradigm?. I remember having the most fun ever in the Squeak Environment, where you can have emailers within emailers :)

What do I want to do?

I want to 'engage' in a conversation between myself (semiotic practice) and my buddies (pragmatics), while having a NewWordConcept (which is 'necessary' within an ontologically structured as well as a real and nonreal-time narrative structure - email and forum) or CodeFragment (that does a new trick) inserted logically into the repository. I should make a demonstrable case for how other people can benefit from my 'contribution,' or why share it it all? Our friends FOAFS should also be aware that something significant happened in some distant community that will make their job easier tomorrow.

Does this post make your job easier tomorrow? For almost all of you, no. What it illuminates is that forum tools could stand to be smarter, could be more dynamic some how. As interestingly stated on the empyrean list: ( http://lists.cofa.unsw.edu.au/pipermail/empyre/2004-February/002531.html ). How could collaborative groups be so dynamic as to form and unform with each message issued. That's interesting stuff. While persistency is also maintained.

There are newbies at various different levels of their development - in many domains - that won't come to these words for another few months, while at the same time there probably exists a forum that I don't know about where this discussion has already taken place. Still, I need to dialogue, not just read web pages. I need a bit of sociability with a distributed community from my perch in Beijing.

In short, as a new collaborator, I'm still in the 'interrogating the tools' stage. I am hesitant to jump into the ontology designing before I know that I'm not writing my will with invisible ink.

Ken.