ontolog-forum
[Top] [All Lists]

Re: [ontolog-forum] Ontology Word Processor

To: [ontolog-forum] <ontolog-forum@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx>
Cc: DigitalArtOntology <dao-forum@xxxxxxxxxxxx>
Date: Sun, 8 Feb 2004 20:43:09 +0800
Message-id: <597363CE-5A34-11D8-8109-0003936D930C@xxxxxxxxxxx>
I'm downloading Open Office as we email.
I've subscribed to the kmtech list - waiting for a response.

What _is it_ that's between us and that KillerApp of the day anyway? The closer we get to the KApp the more nebulous, particular it becomes. KApp thinking is moving toward an open framework (OS) that granularly assembles MicroAgents (code elements) as we need them. What we need accomplished (or said) should be a matter of skill with LanguageMacros. ( This text should be executable from your email browser ) Are there any email apps that use the pluggin paradigm?. I remember having the most fun ever in the Squeak Environment, where you can have emailers within emailers :)

What do I want to do?

I want to 'engage' in a conversation between myself (semiotic practice) and my buddies (pragmatics), while having a NewWordConcept (which is 'necessary' within an ontologically structured as well as a real and nonreal-time narrative structure - email and forum) or CodeFragment (that does a new trick) inserted logically into the repository. I should make a demonstrable case for how other people can benefit from my 'contribution,' or why share it it all? Our friends FOAFS should also be aware that something significant happened in some distant community that will make their job easier tomorrow.

Does this post make your job easier tomorrow? For almost all of you, no. What it illuminates is that forum tools could stand to be smarter, could be more dynamic some how. As interestingly stated on the empyrean list: ( http://lists.cofa.unsw.edu.au/pipermail/empyre/2004-February/002531.html ). How could collaborative groups be so dynamic as to form and unform with each message issued. That's interesting stuff. While persistency is also maintained.

There are newbies at various different levels of their development - in many domains - that won't come to these words for another few months, while at the same time there probably exists a forum that I don't know about where this discussion has already taken place. Still, I need to dialogue, not just read web pages. I need a bit of sociability with a distributed community from my perch in Beijing.

In short, as a new collaborator, I'm still in the 'interrogating the tools' stage. I am hesitant to jump into the ontology designing before I know that I'm not writing my will with invisible ink.

Ken.

On Feb 8, 2004, at 10:05 AM, DonEMitchell wrote:

Hi Ken,

What level of help do you want?

Private solutions, off the shelf category engines, or code tricks to implement in a process model?

There is a discussion going on in KMTech with Dr. Clough (Peircian semiotics professor, et al) and myself regarding a Word Grokker.

Perhaps our process models (in our heads) share overlapping features.

Regards,

DonEMitchell@xxxxxxxxx
http://groups.yahoo.com/group/kmtech

<x-tad-bigger>----- Original Message -----</x-tad-bigger>
<x-tad-bigger>From:</x-tad-bigger><x-tad-bigger> </x-tad-bigger><x-tad-bigger>Kenneth Fields</x-tad-bigger><x-tad-bigger> </x-tad-bigger>
<x-tad-bigger>To:</x-tad-bigger><x-tad-bigger> </x-tad-bigger><x-tad-bigger>DigitalArtOntology</x-tad-bigger><x-tad-bigger> </x-tad-bigger>
<x-tad-bigger>Sent:</x-tad-bigger><x-tad-bigger>Friday, February 06, 2004 6:45 AM</x-tad-bigger>
<x-tad-bigger>Subject:</x-tad-bigger><x-tad-bigger>[ontolog-forum] Ontology Word Processor</x-tad-bigger>

I'm looking for a lossless compression text format that finds repeated words or patterns in a text and stores them in a dictionary. In the body of the text the words/patterns are 'transcluded,' to use a new word, by reference to the dictionary. In other words, if you have the word 'ontology' repeated in a text (or web/wiki page/site) 1000 times - you only write it out once in the dictionary. In the text body is just the ID# of the word 'ontology.' when you read the text, the word is there (transcluded), not the ID# of course. If you change the word in the dictionary, every location of that word in the text is changed.

This would be like gif compression.

.BMP file format. That is a bitmap. The reason .BMP are so big (in file size) is because they literally just store all the information about every pixel. So pixel by pixel, the .BMP tells the computer what the color and brightness should be.

the way gif works is that it looks for repeating color patterns in your image. It creates it's own shorthand for each type of pattern. Rather then storing all those repeating patterns, it is stores the shorthand version and the table of shorthand translations.

Has anyone heard of something like this?

After the text analysis, the extracted words could be compared to an ontology. If new words were found, they could be added to the ontology (hierarchical dictionary). I'm thinking of an app that had the dictionary management tool build-in, while exporting to an ontology format. Is this a future plugin for Protege? Cut and paste text into the plugin window - have the text analyzed, save the file with its ontology dictionary and encoded body. To read the file, you have to have a decoder. In fact you don't need to save the dictionary with the document if you have the new enhanced wordNet on your machine :). The doc would pick up the words from wordNet. Hey an automatic translator tool also - Chinese word net.

Sorry for the late night thoughts.
Ken.
<Prev in Thread] Current Thread [Next in Thread>