Re: [ontolog-forum] Invoice ontology and SUMO

To: "[ontolog-forum]" <ontolog-forum@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx>
From: Duane Nickull <duane@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx>
Date: Thu, 10 Jul 2003 13:40:21 -0700
The notion of "document" is from the paper world and IMO - deprecated
for electronic business.  Why should it be necessary to send everything
all at once, packaged into a "document"?    (01)

let's think outside the box (or document).    (02)

1. An invoice is a request for payment.      (03)

2. An invoice contains a set of information, the minimum of which can be
determined by adding together each parties legal, administrative,
technical, geo-political and other requirements and finding a common
superset.    (04)

3. An invoice payment request can be made in more than one single
transaction (go away from document).    (05)

4. The order in which an invoice is received within a specific
transaction will vary greatly depending on the nature of that transaction.    (06)

5. An invoice can be "implied" ( A quote with a prepayment demand
serialized inline??)    (07)

Duane Nickull    (08)

Greg Olsen wrote:    (09)

> I am a fairly new member here (first time I've had the time to
> respond), but since I've been working on an invoice, I thought I'd
> lend my voice.
>
> Your definition, "An invoice is a document which is part of a
> financial transaction between two or more parties and is a response to
> an order." is good as far as it goes.  But this definition could also
> represent a "pay-on-receipt ship notice".  I would suggest the
> definition be opened up to include the following:  "An invoice is a
> document which is part of a financial transaction between two or more
> parties requiring either the payment of monies or the granting of a
> credit and is a response to an order."
>
> A "pay-on-receipt ship notice" is a hybrid document:  it includes both
> a shipping notification and an invoice.  I hope I haven't muddied the
> waters with my definition.
>
> Greg

Yellow Dragon Software - http://www.yellowdragonsoft.com
Web Services & ebXML Messaging / Registry Downloads
Project Team Lead - UN/CEFACT eBusiness Architecture
Phone:   +1 (604) 738-1051 - Canada: Pacific Standard Time
Direct:  +1 (604) 726-3329     (011)