Re: [ontolog-forum] Proceedings of 2003.03.20 Conference Call

To: cassidy@xxxxxxxxx, "[ontolog-forum]" <ontolog-forum@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx>
From: Leo Obrst <lobrst@xxxxxxxxx>
Date: Sat, 22 Mar 2003 15:39:01 -0500
Pat,    (01)

A use case in general is one "thread" of how one envisions the system or
language actually being
used by users. Use cases are created in order to drive out requirements. Once a
core set of use
cases are established, these are then expanded into scenarios (which you might
view as specific
instances of an individual use case), eventually complete with timing diagrams,
i.e., what
happens when, kind of a process model, who the interactants are (agents, etc.)
This effort
eventually leads to the creation of a object model and a state model. In
general, this kind of
practice evolved out of the object-oriented software development paradigm.    (02)

Look at the OWL Use Cases and Requirements document, for an example:
http://www.w3.org/TR/webont-req/. We identified many use cases and then
collected these into
these 6 general, slightly more abstract use cases. (By the way, much of 1.1
What is an Ontology,
was my contribution to this text).    (03)

Leo    (04)

Patrick Cassidy wrote:    (05)

>    I have a novice question about the current state of UBL
> technology -- what constitutes a "use case"?  Tim McGrath
> provided a helpful reference:
>
> Tim McGrath wrote:
>  > There are some use cases published with the latest UBL release
>  > (0p70).   This is available at ftp://www.oasis-open.org/committees/ubl/
>  > (just a  note of warning that OASIS are changing their web site
>  > this weekend so  the link may be down for a while).
>  >
>  > One of the things we had to do manually when developing the use case
>  > data set was validate things like:
>  >
>  > Did the Order Change reference items that were on the original
>  > Order? Were the Invoice references actually to valid Orders and
>  > Order items?
>  >
>  > Is this the kind of transactional integrity referred to earlier?
>  >
>  >

>     At that site I find  a scenario described:
>
> =======================
> 5.1 Scenario -- The UBL Trading Cycle
>
> This model addresses the requirements of a basic, usable trading cycle
> from Order to Invoice between Buyer and Seller. It includes
> specifications for:
>
>      * Order
>      * Order Response (simple)
>      * Order Response (complex)
>      * Order Cancellation
>      * Despatch Advice
>      * Receipt Advice
>      * Invoice
>
> It provides for:
>
>      * identification of each item according to a range of ID systems
>      * specification of delivery detail at item line level
>      * Specification of the packaging of the ordered items limited to:
>        (a) packaging when it is an inherent part of the Item
> identified by the Item Identifier
>        (b) packaging of the whole delivery consignment in one way,
> e.g. all items palletised, containerised, etc.
>
> It does not provide for:
>
>      * any sub-line facilities, because this is an area of diversity
> for which more industry-specific knowledge and input into creating a
> different business scenario is required.
>      * sophisticated packaging within packaging, which is seen as a
> different business scenario, and for which more business
> context-specific knowledge and input is required.
>
>     Is this what is meant by a "use case" or is there also somewhere
> procedural code that is actually executed on a computer implementing
> such a scenario and using the UBL specifications?
>
>     Pat

> Patrick Cassidy
>
> MICRA, Inc.                      || (908) 561-3416
> 735 Belvidere Ave.               || (908) 668-5252 (if no answer)
> Plainfield, NJ 07062-2054        || (908) 668-5904 (fax)
>
> internet:   cassidy@xxxxxxxxx

> Community Wiki: http://ontolog.cim3.net/wiki/  To Post:
>mailto:ontolog-forum@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx

Dr. Leo Obrst  The MITRE Corporation
mailto:lobrst@xxxxxxxxx Intelligent Information Management/Exploitation
Voice: 703-883-6770 7515 Colshire Drive, M/S H305
Fax: 703-883-1379       McLean, VA 22102-7508, USA    (07)

Community Wiki: http://ontolog.cim3.net/wiki/  To Post:
mailto:ontolog-forum@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx    (08)