Re: [ontolog-forum] Proceedings of 2003.03.20 Conference Call

To: "[ontolog-forum]" <ontolog-forum@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx>
From: Tim McGrath <tmcgrath@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxx>
Date: Sat, 22 Mar 2003 09:13:51 +0800
There are some use cases published with the latest UBL release (0p70).
 This is available at http://www.oasis-open.org/committees/ubl/ (just a
note of warning that OASIS are changing their web site this weekend so
the link may be down for a while).    (01)

One of the things we had to do manually when developing the use case
data set was validate things like:    (02)

Did the Order Change reference items that were on the original Order?
Were the Invoice references actually to valid Orders and Order items?    (03)

Is this the kind of transactional integrity referred to earlier?    (04)

Adam Pease wrote:    (05)

> Mike,
>   Thanks for pointing that out.  It's a good suggestion.  What would
> be the scope of validating an invoice or order?  Would one validate
> the content of the order, or just some generic parameters of the order
> that would be independent of the product or service purchased?  A
> concrete use case would help clarify this.  I'll suggest the following
>
> order date
> ship date
> customer name
> billing address
> shipping address (may be an email)
> shipping method
> order cost
> tax
> shipping and handling cost
> total cost
>
> Is this the sort of content you would be expecting?
>
> Adam
>

> At 10:31 AM 3/21/2003 -0500, MDaconta@xxxxxxx wrote:
>
>> In a message dated 3/20/2003 5:33:08 PM US Mountain Standard Time,
>> apease@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx writes:
>>
>>>   Sorry my participation has been limited recently.  I noticed one
>>> item on
>>> the meeting notes was "Create an ontology so that software agents
>>> can carry
>>> out a UBL transaction in an automated fashion."  I should mention
>>> that the
>>> DAML-Services effort has been trying to do just that.  One problem
>>> is that
>>> DAML doesn't have rules (yet) so the degree of semantic detail is
>>> limited.  We also felt that the effort would benefit from having the
>>> support of a more general ontology.  We've published a version that
>>> covers
>>> the content of DAML-S but in KIF, and consistent with our Suggested
>>> Upper
>>> Merged Ontology.  You can find it at
>>> <http://reliant.teknowledge.com/DAML/ServiceOntology.kif>.  The SUMO,
>>> Financial Ontology and Quality of Service ontologies that it depends
>>> on are
>>> available at <http://ontology.teknowledge.com>. I hope folks will
>>> consider
>>> reusing this content.
>>

>> Hi Adam,
>>
>> I fully agree that we should look to reuse previous work in this area.
>> In regards to the difficulties of an ontology to support automated
>> transactions,
>> you may have noticed the second suggestion before attempting that was
>> a more modest proposal to create an ontology that would assist an
>> agent in validating the correctness of an Invoice/order combination.  I
>> believe that is a more achievable initial goal.
>>
>> Best wishes,
>>
>> - Mike
>> Michael C. Daconta
>> Chief Scientist, APG, McDonald Bradley, Inc.
>> www.daconta.net

> Community Wiki: http://ontolog.cim3.net/wiki/  To Post:
> mailto:ontolog-forum@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx

regards
tim mcgrath
fremantle  western australia 6160
phone: +618 93352228  fax: +618 93352142     (07)

Community Wiki: http://ontolog.cim3.net/wiki/  To Post:
mailto:ontolog-forum@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx    (08)