iaoa-education

Re: [iaoa-education] Open Discussion

To: IAOA Education Committee <iaoa-education@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx>
From: "Dr. Adam M. Goldstein PhD MSLIS" <z_californianus@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx>
Date: Thu, 20 Sep 2012 19:50:01 -0400
On Sep 20, 2012, at 5:26 PM, Fabian Neuhaus <fneuhaus@xxxxxxxx> wrote:    (01)

> Todd and all,
> I think we need to settle on rationale and scope. I am very much in favor of
>Frank's description:
>
> "  initially aim at
>  - rather short, glossary-like definitions for look-up purposes
>    ('short' = guessing an initial target of around 10 lines/500 words)
>  - augmented with references to detailed literature"
>     (02)

I think that we should provide examples of usage "in the wild," as is seen in
many dictionary entries.    (03)

> "* rationale
>  - more detailed information is given in many pieces of diverse literature    (04)

Sure, but we don't want to just start referring people elsewhere, because the
whole point of coming to the lexicon is in part that they didn't understand the
literature.    (05)

>  - high utility
>    * for "newcomers" as a starting point/hub of a general first understanding
>of a notion    (06)

I vote for this.    (07)

>    * for debates as a reference point for determining misunderstanding
>    * in both cases with re-direction to different contexts for more details
>  - easier to achieve than more extensive versions"
>     (08)

An additional use---reference the lexicon in papers, tutorials, web pages, etc,
to increase clarity and prevent misunderstanding.    (09)

> And for a newcomer it would be valuable to include terms that are specific to
>the applied ontology community, even if they are not used ambiguously.
>     (010)

As noted above, I think this would be a good idea. If they are not used
ambiguously, formulating definitions won't be so difficult.     (011)

> Fabian
>

> On Sep 20, 2012, at 5:03 PM, Todd J Schneider wrote:
>

>> --->>> The initial impetus for developing a list of terms was
>>        use/abuse of certain terms across various domains during
>>        this summer's IAOA Summer School.
>>
>>        The intent was not to provide an all inclusive list, though
>>        that might be nice, but to focus on the terms from the domains
>>        addressed during the summer school (and represented in the
>>        diagram on the wiki page) that were used with multiple
>>        interpretations.
>>     (012)

Can we work on issues not encountered in the summer school? By the same token,
why don't those who were at the summer school put together a list of terms that
caused problems.    (013)

>>        My presumption is that these domains are 'core' to applied
>>        ontology and provide the basis for other areas or domains
>>        that are or may be considered important (e.g., semantic web).    (014)

------------------
Adam M. Goldstein PhD, MSLIS
--
z_californianus@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx