iaoa-education

[iaoa-education] [iot] some ideas for consideration == RE: Open Discussi

To: "'IAOA Education Committee'" <iaoa-education@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx>
From: "Frank Loebe" <frank.loebe@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx>
Date: Wed, 19 Sep 2012 12:06:57 -0700
Hi,     (01)

I had a few thoughts after today's EC meeting and the status of the IAOA
Ontology Terminology (IOT) project.    (02)

A disclaimer is due first: everything below arises under my time
constraints, which is also the reason why I cannot commit to the project
regularly (as much as I'd love to), since I wish to stick to those
commitments once made. For the same reason it is just a list of bullet
points (rather than formulated text) and probably all very sketchy.
Moreover, this reflects just my ideas as they came up, it is not yet based
on properly catching up with what has happened so far and is not integrated
with what is available (which would require further time; I'm sorry for not
doing it straight away, though).    (03)

@All: please let me know if "contributions" of this kind are more harm- than
helpful.    (04)

Having said that, I'd like to provide the subsequent remarks just as input
(again, my personal view/ideas how I'd likely approach matters), which I
believe address some of the issues raised in Francesca's message (at the
very bottom).    (05)

Best regards,
Frank    (06)

1.) Scope    (07)

* would initially aim at
  - rather short, glossary-like definitions for look-up purposes
    ('short' = guessing an initial target of around 10 lines/500 words)
  - augmented with references to detailed literature _plus relationship to
that_    (08)

* rationale
  - more detailed information is given in many pieces of diverse literature
  - high utility
    * for "newcomers" as a starting point/hub of a general first
understanding of a notion
    * for debates as a reference point for determining misunderstanding
    * in both cases with re-direction to different contexts for more details
  - easier to achieve than more extensive versions    (09)

2.) Management / Infrastructure    (010)

Roles/Task Sets:
  * Editor  (multiple)
  * Housekeeper   (at least one; not sure whether that's the "Lead Editor")
     - maintaining productive work areas (cleanup, reorganization)
     - aggregating information from mailing list discussions
     - coherence of contents   (maybe later)
     - adopter is required to be able of being highly active and following
up shortly
  * (Outreach)  (maybe later)    (011)

I believe there should be named persons with those responsibilities/in
charge, even if everybody is allowed to contribute to any of the respective
aspects.    (012)

* would treat terms mostly as contextualized,
  e.g. "class (ontology)", "class (set-theoretic)", "class
(object-oriented)"    (013)

* editing status of definitions:
  - proposed
  - consented / preferred    (014)

* use individual pages for collecting definitional variants and references,
and for making/documenting consensus
* at the front page show achievements so far in terms of
  - terms and their consented definition
  - statistics
  - future plans / work assignments (an overview only)    (015)

* need a means/way for establishing / documenting consensus on definitions
  - e.g. counts of individual statements on these categories
    * "cannot/don't want to assess"
    * "agree/can live with that definition"
    * "object"
      - where a policy should be to gather reasons for the objection
  - majority of agreements may determine concensus, while objection may give
rise to an alternative term in some cases    (016)

3.) towards continued progress    (017)

* meetings: bi-weekly or monthly meetings
  - on status
  - possibly resolving consensus problems
  - agree on infrastructure / management policies    (018)

* reporting periods: time between meetings    (019)

* set manageable goals and assign names and dates of delivery to these
  - contents-contribution
    e.g. 5 specific terms per editor for a reporting period,
        (or whichever number someone wants to adopt)
  - housekeepings
    e.g. revision of the front-page, revision of policy pages / todo lists
  - all additional contributions by the same or other persons are certainly
welcome (!)    (020)

* keep track of tasks
  - possibly setup a roadmap page for larger picture and steps
  - setup a detailed todo list/overview with sections (e.g.)
    * unassigned
    * assigned
    * group resolution required
    * done/consented
  - an alternative would be to use a tracking software
  - "detailed" means "manageably small" tasks    (021)

* monitor progress
  - do (few) statistics (to see progress or its lack)
    * should be easy to determine (or even be extracted automatically)
    * e.g.
      - number of term pages that were edited
      - number of consented definitions
      - tasks on list completed
  - on status and next steps/goals/assignments    (022)

4.) immediate next steps
    (that would result from adopting (parts of) the above)    (023)

* setup/agree on a meeting schedule    (024)

* simplify front page
  (in my eyes lower parts require further structuring / cleanup /
summarization and transformation into action items or contents)    (025)

* setup list of ToDo/action items and invite people assigning themselves
  (at most two for one task, otherwise break up into subtasks)    (026)

* start separate term pages (probably all with a common prefix (as a kind of
"namespace"))    (027)

* revise term-presentation at front-page, linking to individual pages    (028)

Msg Archives: http://ontolog.cim3.net/forum/iaoa-education/
Committee File-share: http://iaoa.cim3.net/file/work/Committee/Education/
Committee Wiki: http://ontolog.cim3.net/cgi-bin/wiki.pl?IaoaEducation
Activities Blog: http://iaoa-activities.blogspot.com/ ...(coming!)