iaoa-education

[iaoa-council] Urgent clarification on grants policy

To: IAOA Executive Council <iaoa-council@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx>, IAOA Education Committee <iaoa-education@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx>
From: Laure Vieu <vieu@xxxxxxx>
Date: Thu, 15 Mar 2012 13:39:37 +0100
Dear all,    (01)

we need to take a decision on an urgent matter regarding the way IAOA
distributes grants.    (02)

Frank is right in his reasoning, the question raised by Stefano
regarding the grants and IAOA membership was only a temporal problem.    (03)

Fact:
it is necessary to be an IAOA member to attend the summer school. This
is for fiscal reasons, because this year, the summer school is directly
managed by IAOA.    (04)

Question-1:
Is there a consensus that as a general policy, IAOA only gives grants to
its members?    (05)

This is less important for the summer school because of the fact above,
but very important for FOIS this year.    (06)

[My view is that IAOA should give such grants only to its members. In
fact, membership fee is low for students: max 15E max, and decreases
with the wealthiness of the country.]    (07)

I believe that the Executive Council should take a decision at least on
the very general issue.    (08)

Such a policy may though affect the summer school regarding the
procedure to apply for a grant (and the info that should be published
today on the website).
Let me rephrase Stefano's original question:    (09)

Question-2:
Do we require that participants to the summer school are already IAOA
members when they apply for a grant, or do we accept that they join only
after receiving the answer?    (010)

Technically, they will need to join anyway before registering to the
summer school.    (011)

[My opinion is less clear here. In principle, the same point of view as
above could apply. It will be also easier from a technical point of view
as the personal data will have already been gathered. But we may want to
be more flexible.]    (012)

Laure    (013)