Re: [ontolog-forum] Updating the Ontolog Charter ... definitions andUBL

To: "[ontolog-forum]" <ontolog-forum@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx>
Cc: Jon Bosak <Jon.Bosak@xxxxxxxxxxx>
From: Leo Obrst <lobrst@xxxxxxxxx>
Date: Wed, 02 Mar 2005 17:18:03 -0500
All,    (01)

I'm in favor of the proposed charter changes: I think it brings us
closer to what we are actually about now.     (02)

With respect to definitions of ontologies, I hope to send a portion of a
briefing I made at the Army Knowledge Management Conference in Ft.
Lauderdale late Aug/early Sept of 2004, that takes you through the
ontology spectrum, from taxonomy (weak and strong) to thesaurus (a
strong term taxonomy+) to conceptual model (weak ontology) to logical
theory (strong ontology). The first is unstandardized, the second and
third each has a set of standards associated with them, the third and
fourth have multiple representation languages supporting them, and the
last has some logic behind the representation language, typically
ranging from a description logic (OWL) to first-order logic (KIF, Common
Logic) to a higher order logic.     (03)

A logical theory is a formal ontology. The others range from informal to
semi-formal. Other informal ontologies can be natural language sentences
in a document. The key point about formal ontologies (logical theories)
is that they are machine-interpretable, i.e., semantically interpretable
by machine. The others are not, are only interpretable by human beings,
though they may be machine-readable and machine-processable.    (04)

Hope this helps a bit.    (05)

Thanks,
Leo    (06)