Re: [ontolog-forum] Re: [health-ont] NHIN RFI Responses

To: Peter Yim <peter.yim@xxxxxxxxx>, "[ontolog-forum] " <ontolog-forum@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx>
Cc: "[ontolog-forum]" <ontolog-forum@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx>
Cc: "[health-ont]" <health-ont@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx>
Cc: ontolog-forum-bounces@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx
From: ROBERT.GARIGUE@xxxxxxx
Date: Fri, 21 Jan 2005 07:16:06 -0500

Just to add to the discussion. I wanted to pointed out an alternative definition of ontology given in the Dictionary of XML Technologies and the Semantic Web  by Vladimir Geroimenko.

Ontology 1. An explicit representation of the MEANING of terms in a VOCABULARY, and their interrelationships. In an ontology definition language (such as OWL or RDF), an ontology is the collection of STATEMENTS or other semantic definitions for a DOMAIN. Ontologies are one of the STRUCTURAL CONSTRUCTS of the SEMANTIC WEB ARCHITECTURE. Several SEMANTIC WEB TECHNOLOGIES can be used for building ontologies with different levels of expressiveness. Note that originally the term “ontology” was used in philosophy to refer to the study of the kinds of entities in the world and how they are related. 2. An ONTOLOGY DOCUMENT. For examples of ontologies, see the DAML Ontology Library at http://www.daml.org/ontologies/.

Peter Yim <peter.yim@xxxxxxxxx>
Sent by: ontolog-forum-bounces@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx

01/20/2005 06:48 PM
Please respond to Peter Yim; Please respond to "[ontolog-forum] "