OpenOntologyRepository: OOR "Hackathon" Session (n.02) - Tue 2013_07_16    (3UU5)

Session Topic: The "OOR-Ontohub-Gatekeeper API - II" Hackathon    (3UU6)

Session Co-chairs: KenBaclawski & TillMossakowski    (3UU7)

This is the 2nd session in a series of regular "hackathon" activities for the OOR team. The plan is to devote one meeting a month to intense coding (or other low level development) work.    (3V7D)

Conference Call Details:    (3V7I)

Attendees:    (3V8F)

Agenda Ideas    (3V8S)

Resources    (3V8Y)

Agenda & Proceedings    (3V94)

Archives:    (3V95)

1. Meeting called to order:    (3V9A)

2. Roll Call:    (3V9F)

3. Key discussion:    (3V9I)

3.1 Review of last meeting's decision and action items    (3V9J)

3.2 work for this hackathon session    (3V9O)

3.3 scheduling ... (ref. "7. Any Other Business" below)    (3V9S)

4. Prior Discussions:    (3V9U)

4.1 Discussion: tactically, what shall we be doing differently in the next 6 to 12 months    (3V9V)

4.2 Setting the metrics - what does "success" look like    (3VA2)

4.3 Action planning for "content drive" (getting people to upload ontologies) ... (deferred discussion of this item)    (3VA3)

5. IM Chat Transcript captured during the session:    (3VB1)

 see raw transcript here.    (3VB2)
 (for better clarity, the version below is a re-organized and lightly edited chat-transcript.)
 Participants are welcome to make light edits to their own contributions as they see fit.    (3VB3)
 -- begin in-session chat-transcript --    (3VB4)
	Chat transcript from room: oor_20130716
	2013-07-16 GMT-08:00 [PDT]
	------    (3VLC)
	[6:59] PeterYim: Welcome to the    (3VLD)
	 = OOR "Hackathon" Session (n.02) - Tue 2013_07_16 =    (3VLE)
	* Session Topic: The "OOR-Ontohub-Gatekeeper API - II" Hackathon    (3VLF)
	* Session Co-chairs: KenBaclawski & TillMossakowski    (3VLG)
	* session page:    (3VLH)
	Attendees: KenBaclawski (co-chair), TillMossakowski (co-chair), AleksandraSojic, DanielCoutoVale, 
	MikeBennett, OliverKutz, PeterYim (scribe), ToddSchneider.    (3VLI)
	 == Proceedings ==    (3VLJ)
	[7:03] anonymous morphed into AleksandraSojic    (3VLK)
	[7:02] PeterYim: Till: ref. -    (3VLL)
	[7:13] KenBaclawski: The idlj compiler converts from IDL to Java. It is a standard tool in any Java 
	Development Kit (jdk) so if you have Java installed you should also have idlj.    (3VLM)
	[7:15] KenBaclawski: The idlj compiler is handy for checking the IDL syntax. I used idlj to convert 
	an IDL to Java, and then it is relatively easy to convert to WSDL.    (3VLN)
	[7:09] TillMossakowski: [action] we will set up a new github repository, only for the API    (3VLO)
	[7:07] KenBaclawski: My GitHub name is "baclawski."    (3VLP)
	[7:15] PeterYim: when this OOR-API github instance is up, please subscribe me too - my github 
	username is "yimpp"    (3VLQ)
	[7:23] TillMossakowski: [action-completed] new repository at ... both Ken and Peter are subscribed now    (3VLR)
	[7:11] ToddSchneider: What happened to the use of instances of the metadata ontology as the function 
	parameter?    (3VLS)
	[7:30] ToddSchneider: The API for 'selecting' is effectively a query mechanism, the front end to the 
	user. The other side of this is the 'retrieving' of the requested or queried data. For the front end 
	of selecting or querying for ontologies (or metadata about them) use of an instance of the metadata 
	ontology should be used as the single parameter for the 'select' method. The particular parameters 
	of interest would be represented by non-null values (in the ontology instance). This simplifies the 
	API and overall architecture (but moves complexity to the parsing of the ontology instance). The 
	retrieval (or return values) of the 'selected' results would make use of federate identifiers.    (3VLT)
	[7:35] TillMossakowski: @Todd: the single parameter should be a struct    (3VLU)
	[7:39] TillMossakowski: add-on to Todd's message: the user should be able to select whether the 
	method call should just deliver ids (compact representation) or all the metadata (say, as an XML 
	tree), or even the whole ontology/ies (can become very large)    (3VLV)
	[7:42] ToddSchneider: Till, good point about a parameter to specify return value(s).    (3VLW)
	[7:42] TillMossakowski: IDL methods are synchronous by default. If the execution of a method takes 
	very long, it should be made asynchronous (keyword: oneway).    (3VLX)
	[7:33] KenBaclawski: I have posted the Gatekeeper API in gatekeeper.idl. This is accepted by idlj.    (3VLY)
	[7:44] PeterYim: Till+Ken: now online at github: 
	... OOR_Ontohub API - ... and,
	... OOR_Gatekeeper API -    (3VLZ)
	[7:47] TillMossakowski: Daniel will work on a new iteration of the API, and test it with idlj. He 
	will also integrate the gatekeeper API as a module. Once this iteration is there, Daniel will send a 
	mail, and others can contribute through github.    (3VM0)
	[7:47] PeterYim: [consensus] we will leave these two API's as separate modules - OOR-Ontohub-API and 
	OOR-Gatekeeper-API    (3VM1)
	[7:48] PeterYim: (for the lower level development work) we should use the [oor-dev] mailing list    (3VM2)
	[7:48] DanielCoutoVale: my e-mail is danielvale [at]    (3VM3)
	[7:49] PeterYim: [action] I will subscribe everyone present at today's session to the [oor-dev] list 
	(in case he/she isn't yet)    (3VM4)
	[7:50] List of members: AleksandraSojic, DanielCoutoVale, KenBaclawski, MikeBennett, OliverKutz, 
	PeterYim, TillMossakowski, ToddSchneider    (3VM5)
	[7:49] PeterYim: ^[action-completed] ... done subscribing everyone here onto the [oor-dev] list!    (3VM6)
	[8:04] ToddSchneider: Sorry; Have to go. Thank you.    (3VM7)
	[8:01] TillMossakowski: we just need to start with the "upper level" of the classification. 
	People can later add finer distinctions. The classification system should be itself an OWL ontology, 
	hosted at OOR-Ontohub.    (3VM8)
	[7:53] KenBaclawski: Another source of ontology classification (or perhaps properties of an 
	ontology) is the Ontology Summit 2007    (3VM9)
	[7:57] TillMossakowski: United Nations Standard Products and Services Code:    (3VMA)
	[8:03] PeterYim: @Ken - UNSPSC codeset can be downloaded at: 
	... (generally cost $100) the pdf's are free    (3VMB)
	[8:06] MikeBennett: Prescriptive v Descriptive ontologies    (3VMC)
	[8:07] TillMossakowski: follow up to Ken/2007 summit: ontologies may be classified as descriptive or prescriptive    (3VMD)
	[8:07] MikeBennett: (that is extensional v intensional definitions in the ontology)    (3VME)
	[8:08] TillMossakowski-KenBaclawski: The Ontology Summit 2007 Communique is 
	at:    (3VMF)
	[8:11] PeterYim: upcoming meetings: OOR-hackathon n.03 - Tue Jul-30 ... break in Aug-2013 
	... OOR-hackathon n.04 - Tue Sep-10    (3VMG)
	[8:11] PeterYim: we will use the second Tuesday of each month for the OOR-hackathon activities    (3VMH)
	[8:11] PeterYim: same regular start-time: 7:00am PDT / 10:00am EDT / 4:00pm CEST / 3:00pm BST / 1400 UTC    (3VMI)
	[8:12] PeterYim: great session ... covered a lot of grounds!    (3VMJ)
	[8:12] PeterYim: -- session ended: 8:11am PDT --    (3VMK)
 -- end in-session chat-transcript --    (3VB5)

6. Action items:    (3VB6)

7. Any Other Business: ... (deferred to the next meeting)    (3VB8)

8. Schedule Next Meeting & Adjourn:    (3VBB)

 notes taken by: PeterYim / 2013.07.16-8:36am PDT
 All participants, please review and edit to enhance accuracy and granularity of the documented proceedings.    (3VBJ)

Resources    (3VBK)