Re: [uos-convene] A common subset ontology?

To: Upper Ontology Summit convention <uos-convene@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx>
From: Chris Menzel <cmenzel@xxxxxxxx>
Date: Wed, 8 Mar 2006 10:04:19 -0600
On Tue, Mar 07, 2006 at 12:41:37PM -0800, John Sowa wrote:
> ...  And I'd like to thank Mike for the following point:
>
> > I'm expecting John Sowa to chip in here, but I will save him the
> > trouble...
> >
> > So in what sense is RDFS more advanced than RDBs/SQL?
>
> I would concede one point:  the typed version of RDF does recognize
> types, which Ted Codd proposed about 30 years ago for RDBs,    (01)

John, what is the "typed version of RDF"?  I don't know of any division
of RDF(S) into typed and untyped versions.  Moreover, the semantics of
RDF is extraordinarily weak, and comes nowhere close to the expressive-
ness of Codd's relational calculus (as I'm sure you know); it can't even
handle >2-place relations (except in a limited and kludgy way).    (02)

> but which still aren't in the SQL standard.  But for performance,
> reliability, security, etc., RDF & OWL are still infants compared to
> RDBs, which run the world economy, both now and for a long time to
> come.    (03)

This is apples and oranges, isn't it?  Talking about reliability and
security, and maybe even performance, with respect to RDF/OWL is a lot
like talking about them wrt, say, Peano Arithmetic.  RDF and OWL are
theories in a certain language designed to exploit the infrastruture of
the web and, in the case of OWL DL, the decidability of certain
description logics.  Reliability and security, and to a certain extent,
performance, are orthogonal issues.    (04)

Chris Menzel    (05)

Community Wiki: http://ontolog.cim3.net/cgi-bin/wiki.pl?UpperOntologySummit    (06)