RE: [uos-convene] A common subset ontology?

To: "Upper Ontology Summit convention" <uos-convene@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx>
From: "West, Matthew R SIPC-DFD/321" <matthew.west@xxxxxxxxx>
Date: Tue, 7 Mar 2006 16:24:32 -0000
Dear Pat,    (01)

You suggest some elements that might be part of a common subset. Most of
these are things that lie below the 3D/4D line and can be given an
interpretation either way by inclusion with a suitable upper ontology.
They are very much in the territory of what I think can be usefully
shared.    (02)

See a few specific comments.    (03)

<snip>

> The elements one would hope to be present in a common subset are those
> most commonly used in domain ontologies, such as person, organization,    (04)

MW: Yes.    (05)

> time, space,     (06)

MW: Time and space looks rather different in 4D, so this will probably
need mapping.    (07)

> artifacts, locations, agents, parts,     (08)

MW: Yes (we have a lot of types of artifact).    (09)

> causality,    (010)

MW: Not sure.    (011)

> grammatical roles in events,     (012)

MW: Could you explain what you mean further?    (013)

> and the sorts of things that are
> extracted
> by "named entity" recognition programs.      (014)

MW: Don't understand this either. Could you give further explanation?    (015)

> The more the better.    (016)

MW: I would add physical properties and units of measure.    (017)

Community Wiki: http://ontolog.cim3.net/cgi-bin/wiki.pl?UpperOntologySummit    (018)