RE: [uos-convene] A common subset ontology?

To: "Upper Ontology Summit convention" <uos-convene@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx>
From: "Cassidy, Patrick J." <pcassidy@xxxxxxxxx>
Date: Tue, 7 Mar 2006 12:24:58 -0500
Concerning desiderata for the Common Subset.  Some elaboration
regarding some of the common things that probably should be represented
in a Common Subset Ontology:    (01)

(1) The Types for "Named entities":     (02)

"named entity recognition" is an active branch of Natural Language
Processing that extracts out of text the "atomic elements" which are
instances of common things that appear in text, referred to by names or
strings that identify unique entities (which may be abstract, such as
percentages).  Among the most commonly processed are:    (03)

person names
person titles
company/organization names
geopolitical entity names
locations and geographical places
dates&times
individual events (e.g. World War II)
percentages
monetary amounts
measures    (04)

Other named entities that are common and need representation are:
    individual artifacts (e.g. Big Ben)
    Conceptual Works (Beethoven's Fifth Symphony)
----------------    (05)

(2) "grammatical roles in events"
  Perhaps more appropriately referred to as semantic roles (expressed
as semantic relations) in events that have surface manifestations in
text, such as
   actor   (agent(s) causing an event)
   patient  (entity changed by event)
   instrument
   time of event
   location of event
   purpose of action
   manner, means, or method for action
   outcome or result of event (state change, another event, or process)
   enabling preconditions for event
------------------    (06)

I think these would be among the minimum set of ontology elements that
one would want to include in a common subset.  Others can be easily
imagined.    (07)

Pat    (08)

Patrick Cassidy
MITRE Corporation