Re: [uos-convene] A common subset ontology?

To: "John F. Sowa" <sowa@xxxxxxxxxxx>
Cc: Upper Ontology Summit convention <uos-convene@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx>
From: Chris Menzel <cmenzel@xxxxxxxx>
Date: Wed, 8 Mar 2006 20:43:33 -0600
On Wed, Mar 08, 2006 at 12:19:35PM -0800, John Sowa wrote:
> XML and URIs are as "orthogonal" as anything could ever be.
>
> JS>> Other than the choice of an XML-based syntax, there's nothing
> >> about RDF and OWL that makes them any better suited to the WWW than
> >> SQL.
>
> CM> Well, that's a pretty big "other than"!  Creating an XML-based
> > language for publishing ontologies in which names are URIs was
> > genius.
>
> If you want to talk about orthogonality, note that these three ideas
> were developed independently and have been in widespread use since the
> late 1960s:
>
>  1. Importing external files into a language text.
>
>  2. The Arpanet/Internet naming conventions for files.
>
>  3. The GML-SGML-HTML-XML conventions for marking up
>     documents.
>
> The first two are very important, and using them together is a
> "no-brainer", as they say.  The *ML family has also been a very
> good approach for marking up documents for the past 37 years.
>
> But the idea of using a document markup format as a general purpose
> language format is questionable, to say the least.      (01)

I agree with this, although it appeared I was praising the choice of XML
per se.  To the contrary, the target of my praise was the combination of
a *standardized* language + URIs, which simultaneously gives us an
effective namespace mechanism (which alone solves a host of problems)
and enables us to take advantage of the web's infrastructure    (02)

> An HTML/XML tag that specifies LANG=xxx has proved to be much more
> versatile and successful; e.g., Javascript and PHP.    (03)

Sure, I agree -- though note it will take standardization on the order
of RDF/OWL for every desired LANG.    (04)

> CM> And for all its superficial ugliness, a standardized XML-based
> > syntax cuts right through religious wars about surface grammatical
> > form.
>
> Oh, please.  Just look at PHP.  Without any support from the W3C,
> it rose from nowhere to become one of the major web development
> languages -- and it does *not* use XML syntax for the processing
> language.    (05)

Again, John, you are missing the (somewhat obscurely made) point here --
the win is a standardized ontology language, not the use of XML.  I
don't think we disagree much here.    (06)

-chris
Community Wiki: http://ontolog.cim3.net/cgi-bin/wiki.pl?UpperOntologySummit    (07)