Re: [uos-convene] A Common Upper Ontology?

To: Upper Ontology Summit convention <uos-convene@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx>
From: "John A. Bateman" <bateman@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
Date: Tue, 07 Mar 2006 13:03:23 +0100
> "(5) As one means of interrelating the existing upper ontologies, we
> plan to explore the possibility of creating a common subset ontology
> that will be accurately translatable into each of the linked upper
> ontologies.     (01)

This seems to be pretty much the text that was going around
2 weeks ago. It echoes again the idea of lets build another
ontology. This does not seem productive and echoes the
SUMO-list. There have been a number of other revisions that
came closer to a good aim. But these appear to be going lost
under the mail-volume. The habit of citing huge chunks
of previous emails with inline comments does not help this
IMO.    (02)

I am not sure how to fix this. I do not think a common
subset ontology is necessarily a
sensible approach to establishing
interrelationships. One may emerge as a result of doing
the formaliation of the interrelationships but, then
again, it may not. If there is are mappings between
the component ontologies, this is not a problem.
Agreeing on common ontologies always has been a problem.    (03)

Can we get the particular paragraph(s) versions that
have been proposed side-by-side to hammer them out?
Perhaps with paragraph numbers in the subject-line
or something?    (04)

John B.    (05)

Community Wiki: http://ontolog.cim3.net/cgi-bin/wiki.pl?UpperOntologySummit    (06)