RE: [uos-convene] A Common Upper Ontology?

To: Upper Ontology Summit convention <uos-convene@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx>
From: "Smith, Barry" <phismith@xxxxxxxxxxx>
Date: Tue, 07 Mar 2006 09:31:30 -0500

> MU> I heartily disagree. I think this is a good paragraph. In
> fact, I'm
> confused Matthew as to what exactly you disagree with. You
> are not clear
> about that. Your comment don't suggest obvious conflict.
> --

MW: I don't think there is a set of basic concepts that can be agreed
to by all the convened upper ontologies. In particular the discussions
we have had around Pat's strawman have lead me to conclude that what
is really common to 3D and 4D ontologies at the upper level is very
small unless you are going to impose on one or other community something
unpalatable to them. I would not consider that to be a useful outcome.

MW: There is a clear conflict between 3D physical objects that pass through
time and have no temporal parts, and 4D physical objects that are extended
in time and have temporal parts, and the knock on effects from this means
that what can really be shared at the upper level is minimal (as far as I
can see thing, and some very vague idea of a collection with instances).

BS: Objects don't conflict. People conflict. It is, as several representatives at this summit demonstrate, perfectly possible to embrace both 3D and 4D entities in the same ontology. Matthew, however, has reductionist conceptions, of 3D-ism and of 4D-ism, respectively, which means that, for him, anyone who embraces 3D entities can never share ontological beliefs in common with anyone who embraces 4D entities, and vice versa. It would be sad if Matthew's views on this turned out to be held only by him.

BS