[uos-convene] Revised Wording 4th March

To: "Upper Ontology Summit convention" <uos-convene@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx>
From: "West, Matthew R SIPC-DFD/321" <matthew.west@xxxxxxxxx>
Date: Tue, 7 Mar 2006 14:21:36 -0000
Dear Pat,    (01)

I've taken a look at the latest revised wording. A big
improvement, well done.    (02)

A few more minor points.    (03)

>From the Background section    (04)

"A new initiative is needed to find agreement on a set of
basic concepts that can be easily understood and exploited
by diverse communities of users to permit their systems to
accurately exchange detailed meanings for the concepts they
need to communicate with each other."    (05)

I suggest (addition in capitals):    (06)

"A new initiative is needed to find agreement on a set of
basic concepts AND MAPPINGS BETWEEN THEM that can be easily
understood and exploited by diverse communities of users to
permit their systems to accurately exchange detailed meanings
for the concepts they need to communicate with each other."    (07)

>From the conclusions we find:    (08)

"To ease the creation of applications that can take advantage
of any of the existing upper ontologies, we now want to
develop methods to relate the existing upper ontologies to
each other. We have agreed to take substantive steps toward
developing methods to interrelate the existing upper
ontologies to each other."    (09)

There seems to be significant overlap between these two
adjacent sentences. I suggest (deleting redundant text):    (010)

"To ease the creation of applications that can take advantage
of any of the existing upper ontologies, we  have agreed to
take substantive steps toward developing methods to
interrelate the existing upper ontologies to each other."    (011)

Regards    (012)

Matthew West
Reference Data Architecture and Standards Manager
Shell International Petroleum Company Limited
Shell Centre, London SE1 7NA, United Kingdom    (013)

Tel: +44 20 7934 4490 Mobile: +44 7796 336538
Email: matthew.west@xxxxxxxxx
http://www.shell.com
http://www.matthew-west.org.uk/    (014)

Community Wiki: http://ontolog.cim3.net/cgi-bin/wiki.pl?UpperOntologySummit    (015)