RE: [uos-convene] A Common Upper Ontology?

To: "Upper Ontology Summit convention" <uos-convene@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx>
From: "West, Matthew R SIPC-DFD/321" <matthew.west@xxxxxxxxx>
Date: Tue, 7 Mar 2006 10:08:27 -0000
Dear Mike,    (01)

See below.    (02)

Matthew    (03)

MW: I don't think there is a set of basic concepts that can be agreed
to by all the convened upper ontologies. In particular the discussions
we have had around Pat's strawman have lead me to conclude that what
is really common to 3D and 4D ontologies at the upper level is very
small unless you are going to impose on one or other community something
unpalatable to them. I would not consider that to be a useful outcome.    (05)

MW: There is a clear conflict between 3D physical objects that pass through
time and have no temporal parts, and 4D physical objects that are extended
in time and have temporal parts, and the knock on effects from this means
that what can really be shared at the upper level is minimal (as far as I
can see thing, and some very vague idea of a collection with instances).    (06)

MW: So at the upper level, the best I can see as conceivable is a common
3D upper ontology, a common 4D upper ontology and a mapping between them.
At a next level down where we start to look at the general sorts of things
that exist (cars, pumps, animals,...) I see again the possibility to "share"
but only in the sense that a 3D/4D interpretaion of physical object is
absent.

> Following on from that in the Conclusions in Brief
>
> "(2) Each of the existing upper ontologies differs in specifics of
> implementation, but we all agree that use of some formally defined
> common upper ontology is the most cost-effective method for achieving
> scalable semantic interoperability."
>
> Delete "common"
>
> MU> I heartily agree again. If we delete 'common', then there
> is no need
> for a UO summit. We can use any old UO of which there will be 100s.    (07)

MW: This has I think been satisfactorily dealt with elsewhere and there
is a revised version that includes common but deals with my concerns.

Community Wiki: http://ontolog.cim3.net/cgi-bin/wiki.pl?UpperOntologySummit    (08)

Community Wiki: http://ontolog.cim3.net/cgi-bin/wiki.pl?UpperOntologySummit    (09)