Re: [uom-ontology-std] What is mass?

To: uom-ontology-std <uom-ontology-std@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx>
From: Joe Collins <joseph.collins@xxxxxxxxxxxx>
Date: Fri, 02 Oct 2009 16:25:35 -0400

I have no real problem with the phrase "looking at a temperature". I assume that
measurement equipment in general are artificial extensions of our senses, our
senses themselves are measurement equipment, so, in a colloquial usage, we are
still talking about measurement.    (01)

As for the "direct" and "indirect" properties, I have seen nothing as yet that
makes me believe these distinctions are physical in nature, unless they really
are meant as "intensive" and "extensive" (I'm not convinced they are).
Some of the instances cited seem teleological: definitely not physical in
nature. I don't see "direct" and "indirect" as concepts within a UoM based on
SI/VIM.    (02)

I do think that we must deal with representing uncertainty in measurement of
quantities.
I bring this up because Pat Hayes wrote:    (03)

> I would strongly urge that we NOT do this, whatever the SI standard says;    (04)

 From an information science perspective, all decision processes have error
rates, i.e., uncertainties. Making measurements involves making decisions: the
metre-stick may be continuous, but the increment marks are discrete and I have
to decide what value to choose.    (05)

 From a scientific perspective, when we talk without any notion of uncertainty
about measurements of properties that are not observably discrete, we are
arguably talking nonsense. Even the counting of discrete properties is subject
to error.    (06)

While it might not be common, everyday practice to explicitly refer to
uncertainty, it is usually tacitly assumed.
For example, when I ask for 1 kg of bologna at the grocery store, I'm pretty
sure they assume I don't mean 1.00 kg or 1.000 kg or 2 kg.    (07)

It is certainly standard practice to cite uncertainty in communicating measured
quantities, and it's pretty well defined in the SI.    (08)

R/Joe C.    (09)

--
Joseph B. Collins, Ph.D.