Re: [uom-ontology-std] What is mass?

To: uom-ontology-std <uom-ontology-std@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx>, "Matthew West" <dr.matthew.west@xxxxxxxxx>
From: Pat Hayes <phayes@xxxxxxx>
Date: Sun, 4 Oct 2009 21:54:23 -0500

On Oct 2, 2009, at 2:40 AM, Matthew West wrote:    (01)

> Dear Pat,

>> meter as
>> that
>> one

>> one

>> it
>>>

>>> Why is maximum allowable temperature not a temperature?
>>
>> It is a temperature.
>
> MW: Then tell me which temperatures are the maximum allowable ones?    (02)

? How should I know? You will have to look at the relevant spec. If it
says that the MAT is 1200 degrees Kelvin, then 1200 degrees Kelvin is
the maximum allowable temperature. And 1200 degrees Kelvin is a
temperature. (This is so obvious, I must be missing your point.)

>> But its not the temperature OF anything (we
>> hope,
>> if things are working right.) That is, there is nothing which has
>> that
>> temperature. In Matthew's overarching ontological framework, that
>> might mean it doesn't exist (? Matthew, sorry if I get this wrong.)
>
> MW: There is a possible world in which there is something that has
> that
> temperature.    (03)

Ah, OK, if you allow possible words then no problem. (Interesting
move, for a nominalist, but lets have that discussion in another
thread :-)    (04)

>>> Just because
>>> it isn't realized? It is a temperature specification. It is a
>> quantity
>>> even if it doesn't exist anywhere at any particular moment in
>> time.
>>
>> I tend to agree. Quantities (as opposed to things that have them)
>> should probably be viewed in a Platonic light in any case, like
>> numbers, so they don't actually have places and moments to exist
>> in.
>> Even for the most case-hardened nominalists (among which I count
>> myself), it isn't practical to try to get along without some
>> abstractions in the universe of discourse.
>
> MW: Yes I agree it is a quantity, but it is not an instance of
> temperature. It is a quantity that makes a reference to an instance of
> temperature.    (05)

?! Of COURSE it is a temperature. That is why people call it a maximum
allowable *temperature*. It is a point on the temperature scale, and
that is what a temperature is. 1200 degrees Kelvin (for example) is a
temperature. It might not be the temperature OF anything, but that
doesn't stop it being a temperature.    (06)

Pat    (07)

phayesAT-SIGNihmc.us       http://www.ihmc.us/users/phayes    (09)