Re: [uom-ontology-std] An UoM Ontology based on UCUM v1.6

To: uom-ontology-std <uom-ontology-std@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx>
From: Gunther Schadow <gschadow@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxx>
Date: Fri, 24 Jul 2009 22:28:05 -0400
David Leal wrote:
> The terms of use of the UCUM given on its web-page prevent discussion of
> its technical content for the purpose of developing another standard.
> The purpose of this forum is the development of another standard.    (01)

> You say:
>> There should be debates on content. Then, if that debate on content
>> brings forth a motivation, there will be an agreement on the
>> legalese. But there will not be a debate on UCUM's legalese here.
>
> Are you giving us permission to discuss the technical content in this forum?
> It is something that I would like to do.    (02)

David,    (03)

It is nowhere said that users could not discuss the content.    (04)

It is understood that this group here is interested in developing
standards in the area of UCUM.     (05)

It is of course not in our interest to simply repackage UCUM as a
different standard with little tweaks here and there. Instead, let
us see where this group here ends up with. I am sure it will be
in large parts complementary. And it will not be simply different
for different sake. Therefore the risk of mere "dillution" is low.    (06)

So, if anyone needs permission to discuss, such permission should
be taken for granted.    (07)

regards,
-Gunther    (08)