Re: [uom-ontology-std] retitled: magnitude of a quantity

To: uom-ontology-std <uom-ontology-std@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx>
From: John Graybeal <graybeal@xxxxxxxxx>
Date: Fri, 17 Jul 2009 15:42:36 -0700
On Jul 16, 2009, at 4:55 AM, Pat Hayes wrote:    (01)

> It always bothered me that dimensional analysis made angles
> dimensionless, when they are of such profound physical
> significance.  Clearly, direction of length matters. The fact is,
> 'length' should be treated as a vector rather than a scalar.    (02)

Uh -- given a length of a stick, what's the origin of the coordinate
system in the vector case? Don't you need both length and angle as
independent things?    (03)

> This also, btw, helps with distinguishing length from width from
> height. But this is probably going too far out in left field for
> this forum :-)    (04)

On ontolog? Seriously?    (05)

I am eager to see the concrete steps under way.  This is a very
interesting progression of work.    (06)

John    (07)

John Graybeal   <mailto:graybeal@xxxxxxxxx>  -- 831-775-1956
Marine Metadata Interoperability Project: http://marinemetadata.org    (08)