Re: [uom-ontology-std] retitled: magnitude of a quantity

To: uom-ontology-std <uom-ontology-std@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx>
Cc: jhd@xxxxxxxxxxxxx
From: Ed Barkmeyer <edbark@xxxxxxxx>
Date: Wed, 15 Jul 2009 20:00:24 -0400
James Davenport wrote:    (01)

> Personally, I'm not sure that I would give 'length' and 'width'
> different kinds, but that's why we will (when we actually get down to
> talking about populating the ontology) be having these debates. Two
> better examples are torque and energy,     (02)

Torque and energy are different kinds of quantity, and their instances
are not comparable.  The confusion here arises from the fact that they
differ in their dimensional formulations by multiplication by a kind of
quantity (angle) that has no "unit".  (Its model is arc length/radius,
i.e. length/length.)    (03)

> or the distinction between relative and non-relative temperatures    (04)

Pandora's box number 2.  Absolute temperatures (which is the usual kind)
and date-time are very special problems.  They don't work like other
measurements.    (05)

-Ed    (06)

Gaithersburg, MD 20899-8263                FAX: +1 301-975-4694    (07)

  and have not been reviewed by any Government authority."    (08)